NVME RAID Question

Question, as I'm planning my first PC build after running a Sullybox for many years.

If I have several identical NVME drives, will I be able to / should I RAID0 them in the BIOS into a fatty drive so I don't have to deal with multiple drives in Win11? My plan was to have one drive with the OS on the off chance I need to reinstall Windows, and RAID0 the others into the main storage drive.

If it matters, this is the mobo I'll have: 

ROG.ASUS.COM

ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI Intel LGA 1700 ATX motherboard, DDR5, PCIe 5.0, 18+1 power stages, WiFi 6E, Intel® 2.5 Gb Ethernet, M.2 Combo-Sink , USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 USB Type-C®, SATA and Aura Sync

There are a couple places on the board I could install the drives, if that matters as well.

3 hours ago, dualhunter said:

What are the drives and exactly how many do you have and hope to use? It says that if you use the M.2_1 the PCIE16(G5)_1 will only run at 8x. Depending on your video card that might not matter.

I have 4, 2TB Samsung 980 Pros, and the GPU I'll be running is a 3080 FE.

If you use that slot it will limit your GPU a little. If you really want to use all 4 you could look into the Hyper M.2 Card it says the motherboard supports but apparently that could raise it's own issues (see if you can understand the *** and **** marked stuff).

• Like 1

Never RAID0. It's not ever worth it. There isn't a consumer grade storage controller on this Earth that I trust with RAID0 mostly because RAID0 should never be used as a storage device. I don't care what anyone says or anyone's experience. If you want to merge your drives into one large pool so you only see a single drive in Windows explorer or so Steam only sees just the one drive to install games on, just install Windows 11 and use storage spaces.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Never RAID0. It's not ever worth it. There isn't a consumer grade storage controller on this Earth that I trust with RAID0 mostly because RAID0 should never be used as a storage device. I don't care what anyone says or anyone's experience. If you want to merge your drives into one large pool so you only see a single drive in Windows explorer or so Steam only sees just the one drive to install games on, just install Windows 11 and use storage spaces.

I will be getting Windows 11, I'd completely forgotten this was a thing.

18 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

@Ghost_MH Any insight into why drives that show up in Windows Explorer wouldn't be available for use in Storage Spaces?

Only time I've ever had a problem, I found jumping into the Disk Manage and fully reinitializing the disks did the trick. One sole partition taking up the entire drive, no data, GPT, fully formatted as NTFS or REFS. I would start there.

38 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Only time I've ever had a problem, I found jumping into the Disk Manage and fully reinitializing the disks did the trick. One sole partition taking up the entire drive, no data, GPT, fully formatted as NTFS or REFS. I would start there.

I formatted all of them once I spun them up and I didn't get any joy. Something changed, because the option was there initially when I was mucking around and updating drivers and such, and now I can't get storage space to recognize the drives as options. I don't know if it's treating them as removable, but that seems unlikely since there's no eject and the bus is recognized as NVME. Weird.

EDIT - I wonder if removing them from the space will mean they won't show back up until I remove and reattach the drives phsyically. Hmm.

EDIT 2 - When I run Get-PhysicalDisk in PowerShell I see "CanPool" status is False. Gotta see how I can mess with that

26 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I formatted all of them once I spun them up and I didn't get any joy. Something changed, because the option was there initially when I was mucking around and updating drivers and such, and now I can't get storage space to recognize the drives as options. I don't know if it's treating them as removable, but that seems unlikely since there's no eject and the bus is recognized as NVME. Weird.

EDIT - I wonder if removing them from the space will mean they won't show back up until I remove and reattach the drives phsyically. Hmm.

EDIT 2 - When I run Get-PhysicalDisk in PowerShell I see "CanPool" status is False. Gotta see how I can mess with that

If the drive is really formatted, try using diskpart in an elevated command prompt to clean the disk. That should wipe any flags on the drives. Reboot and try again.