AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D Reviews and Benchmarks, AMD's gaming CPU

Massdriver

Review round ups:  

https://videocardz.com/127562/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-review-roundup

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/u5jadk/amd_ryzen_7_5800x3d_meta_review/

40 game benchmarks 5800x3d vs Intel i9-12900K:

Fortnite.png
WWW.TECHSPOT.COM

A massive gaming benchmark comparison between the Ryzen 7 5800X3D and Core i9-12900K, pitting the two head to head across 40 games at 1080p, 1440p and 4K,...

1080p.png

Performance degrades in applications outside of gaming relative to a regular Zen 3 5800x, but significant gains are made in gaming. In two separate 40 game tests, it matched or exceeded the 12900k by a smidge on average. The amazing thing is how well it does against the 12900k with far less power. Multiple reviews have confirmed this result. Intel is basically throwing brute force at games and AMD is getting lots of frames in an efficient way. This is the opposite of what we used to come to expect from the two companies a mere 5 years ago when bulldozer was AMD's architecture. 

5800x3d is on AM4, so with a bios update, many of us can just drop it in to our existing motherboards which is nice. I may consider it in one or both of my desktops eventually. The bad news is AM4 is dead after this chip, so if you're building a whole new rig and want more cpu options down the road, you need to look elsewhere such as Intel or wait for AM5 later this year.

The price isn't great at $450 unless you are competing with Intel's 12900k for gaming, but it could be worse.  Maybe it goes down some when Zen 4 and next gen Intel comes out.

Overall a remarkable showing from AMD considering this is basically a 1.5 year old architecture with some cache slapped on top. Rumor has it Zen 4 with Vcache will be released early 2023 if this chip is successful. 

To note, the 12900k is also using DDR5 memory in their tests.  The 5800x would be comparatively even faster in most situations if they were using the same DDR4 memory.  It's definitely a good budget, high end gaming processor. But if money was not much of a consideration I'd go with Intel for the performance advantage outside of games as well as the updated motherboard platform.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but here are some interesting benchmarks on cpu sensitive games like Factorio and Stellaris. Since I play a lot of RTS and strategy games, it seems like this would be a very solid upgrade for my 3800x and my 1800x. After Zen 4 comes out and hopefully there are some sales for it, I may pick it up hopefully for $300ish.

enter image description here

Vermeer
GITHUB.COM

Contribute to xxEzri/Vermeer development by creating an account on GitHub.