Hey, SWERY (Deadly Premonition, D4, The Missing: J.J. Macfield) has a new game coming out. It has a demo. Maybe try it!

Xbob42

I always like SWERY's games, even if they're generally technical nightmares because he puts them on the worst systems. He has a way of making a small-town environment charming, and lived-in feeling, while also bizarre. Deadly Premonition was very Twin Peaks-y, but I think attributing the strange charm only to that is a bit misleading.

Anyway, the game's called The Good Life. I think I backed it a year or so ago, which I don't do often.

It's about a really pissed off photographer lady from New York stuck in a small town in the UK, trying to figure out why it's called the "Happiest Place on Earth."

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1633085429
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Enjoy everyday life while solving a murder mystery in Rainy Woods - known as the "happiest town in the world" - in this all-new "Debt Repayment RPG"!

The demo's only up for the duration of the Steam event, so give it a try if it sounds interesting to you.

It's like a mix of Deadly Premonition (minus the combat... I think?) and an Instagram simulator, where certain things get popular each week and if you upload pictures of them, you get money per how many likes it gets, which is a big part of the game because it's all about paying back your 30 million Euro debt. There's more to it than that, but just play the demo. I think seeing the game first-hand is nice.

I'm generally not one to try to draw attention to a game. Well... usually, at least. The game has a simple, pleasant art style and runs super well. It's probably also SWERY's best controlling game to date, as his games are usually painful to control. Basically I feel bad that his games always seem to get nothing more than some minor cult classic status despite being very interesting.

Your progress from the demo carries over into the main game too. I've been playing the demo for hours and have really been enjoying myself. While it doesn't have the budget of a Deadly Premonition, it still has all the heart and frankly runs a lot better than that piece of shit Deadly Premonition 2 with its 13 FPS when outside.

I dunno, demo's free, try it. It's chill as hell, pretty funny, and very satisfying.

lqoeniK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...