Asterigos (high fantasy indie ARPG for Xbox consoles/PlayStation consoles/PC/Switch) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

@Phaseknox OK, I'm now to the shelter. This whole game screams "really talented dev with limited funds!". The art is pretty good and the animations work solidly to convey combat and world building. ITs one part Kena, one part souls, and maybe a touch of god of war. The writing and VA leans toward the amatuer end of the scale, but only just enough that you know that with some tweaks it could be solid as well. I did manage to beat the strong man! Was that that a fight I could have just lost and kept my health potions on? 

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

This whole game screams "really talented dev with limited funds!". The art is pretty good and the animations work solidly to convey combat and world building. ITs one part Kena, one part souls, and maybe a touch of god of war.

Yeah, the game is somewhat low budget. They still did a great job with what they had to work with, but I can only imagine how good that it could have been with an even bigger budget. I haven’t played Kena yet, but to me this game kind of feels like a mix of Darksiders III, Dark Souls, Venetica and even a little Zelda.

The writing and VA leans toward the amatuer end of the scale, but only just enough that you know that with some tweaks it could be solid as well.

The writing and voice acting are a couple of the weaker aspects of the game IMO. The game was developed in Taiwan, so perhaps the translation is part of why the writing doesn’t come across stronger. It’s not bad, but it could definitely be better. The voice acting is the biggest mixed bag, it ranges from good to average to bad. My biggest issue is with Hilda’s father, his VA is probably the worst in the game and he’s one of the major characters. The mix of different quality VA between the characters throughout is somewhat jarring, and off-putting at times.

I did manage to beat the strong man! Was that that a fight I could have just lost and kept my health potions on? 

I thought that he was unbeatable, I lost to him when I got his life bar down halfway. I looked it up to see if he could be beaten, and it said that eventually he unleashes an attack that instantly kills you so I just figured that you were meant to be defeated by him.

24 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Yeah, the game is somewhat low budget. They still did a great job with what they had to work with, but I can only imagine how good that it could have been with an even bigger budget. I haven’t played Kena yet, but to me this game kind of feels like a mix of Darksiders III, Dark Souls, Venetica and even a little Zelda.

The writing and voice acting are a couple of the weaker aspects of the game IMO. The game was developed in Taiwan, so perhaps the translation is part of why the writing doesn’t come across stronger. It’s not bad, but it could definitely be better. The voice acting is the biggest mixed bag, it ranges from good to average to bad. My biggest issue is with Hilda’s father, his VA is probably the worst in the game and he’s one of the major characters. The mix of different quality VA between the characters throughout is somewhat jarring, and off-putting at times.

I thought that he was unbeatable, I lost to him when I got his life bar down halfway. I looked it up to see if he could be beaten, and it said that eventually he unleashes an attack that instantly kills you so I just figured that you were meant to be defeated by him.

Hmmm, well I certainly cleared his bar and tHen it cut scened into an insta_kill!

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I’m pretty sure I’d really like this one so I should probably wishlist it or something just to remember it as right now it’s getting lost in a flood of other games for me.

Yeah, its pretty good! Linear so far, but charming and well produced, voice acting aside. Probably worth putting on the list for a steam sale later this year. 

• Like 1

Baraad has fallen and I am now in the center of the city. Design choices continue to be generally good with occasional stumbles here and there. The music is quite nice as well. The game is maybe 60% as hard as a souls tilte and plays like a "what if a gamecube era, 3rd party invented Dark Souls?". 

• Like 1

Bird boss is toast and now I'm facing the twin centurions. They got the better of me when I first fought them, but I was down to 7 potions to start the fight, so with a full compliment of "juice", I should put them to bed tonight! That is, unless I end of installing my new CPU tonight instead, USPS says "maybe". :p

• Shocked 1