A pair of Gigabyte PSUs appear prone to "catastrophic failure" (i.e., actual explosions)

Commissar SFLUFAN

WofbgEoxZYTRSSdg5Xs4uj-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

A worrying number of Gigabyte GP-P750GM and GP-P850GM PSUs failed during tests by reviewers.

Multiple reports suggest Gigabyte's GP-P750GM and GP-P850GM power supplies could be at high risk of serious malfunction or failure. In some cases, these PSUs have even been going out with a literal bang.

The issue was first noted by well-known PSU reviewer Aristeidis Bitziopoulos in his review for TechPowerUp in late 2020. In this review, he concludes that "Contrary to the Aorus PSU line, which was surprisingly good, this one is a disappointment…. For starters, my sample died during the over power evaluation, which is a great shame. The primary switching FETs blew up with a hell of a bang."

16 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

So I take it Gigabyte makes their own PSUs and doesn't outsource from another company and slap their name on it? Legit question as I never have purchased a Gigabyte PSU, but I know that is a somewhat common practice on PSUs. 

I believe that they are indeed outsourced.