New OLED Laptop

So I decided to splurge and get the new Dell XPS 15 (9510) with the OLED screen.

The screen and laptop are fantastic. My only problem is that the OLED seems to make me motion sick ☹️

Anyone else have this issue with OLED screens? Any ideas how to prevent this? Literally contemplating returning the laptop and getting their other 4k screen.

40 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think your body is just going to have to adjust. You'll probably get less sick the more you use it.

I am thinking that may be the case. Curious if anyone else had these issues or not. I did turn down the brightness a bit so that will hopefully help.

I hope I do adjust. The screen is amazing!

On 7/5/2021 at 11:45 AM, Link200 said:

So I decided to splurge and get the new Dell XPS 15 (9510) with the OLED screen.

The screen and laptop are fantastic. My only problem is that the OLED seems to make me motion sick ☹️

Anyone else have this issue with OLED screens? Any ideas how to prevent this? Literally contemplating returning the laptop and getting their other 4k screen.

How are you liking the laptop otherwise? I have an XPS 15 from 2017 that I'm looking to upgrade and was debating if I was gonna stick with the XPS or go with another pc Laptop.

On 7/9/2021 at 4:00 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

How are you liking the laptop otherwise? I have an XPS 15 from 2017 that I'm looking to upgrade and was debating if I was gonna stick with the XPS or go with another pc Laptop.

It is expensive but the build quality is fantastic.

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2021 at 4:36 PM, Dimden said:

Nice laptop! You might be having a problem with pixel response time. I have the same issue with my laptop where I have a 144Hz QHD screen, but the pixel response time seems to be around 12ms which leads to ghosting. If you have a monitor over drive setting, you could also suffer from inverse ghosting while it's enabled, which just looks bad. While this video is in regard to desktop monitors, the same holds true for laptop monitors, especially since manufacturers have been falsely advertising the quality of the hardware in them as of late.

I believe it is just the specific technology. PWM causes a lot of these issues from what I have read. The way they implemented it just wrecks me. My Pixel 5 OLED screen isn't an issue so I just assume it happens to be the PWM frequencies they use or something. Still learning about the tech. All I know is Dell's implementation doesn't work for me or I can deal with it on small screens with a smaller FOV.

I sent back the laptop an ordered a new one. Really wanted it to work though.

On 7/12/2021 at 3:24 PM, Dimden said:

I can't say that I've had that issue, but laptop purchases are an absolute crap shoot these days. Did you get a lot of flickering?

People really have to be careful about jumping into purchases by doing proper research before buying, less they end up with a product that doesn't actually perform up to it's advertised specs, or has some other hidden defect that leads to less than desirable operation. The practices that some of these manufacturers have is absolutely scummy.

Visually it was great. Just made me sick. Didn't notice anything wrong with the screen. Order seemed up to snuff.

Just got my next laptop. See how this one goes. Haven't had time to do more than setup.

BTW, the XPS series constantly gets good reviews as of late. I do check the hardware though. I saw where manufacturers play games with Gamers Nexus and LTT.

Well I got the UHD version of the XPS 15 9510 in the mail. I don't get sick but I do get a headache. I have no idea what causes that. I can work all day long on my ACER X34 and Surface Pro 5 but Dell screens seem to wreck me. For some reason it seems like I need to focus harder on the screen to look at it. I go back to my Surface Pro and no issues. This is annoying. 

I would try out the GF's computer glasses :nerd: but they are beat to hell.

17 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I would say it entirely depends on what you need the laptop for. I honestly don't believe this is a gaming laptop. I personally have it for coding and working on the road with some light gaming and video consumption.

If you are doing photo/video editing I can see having the bigger screen as a benefit.

Unless you need the higher clock speed I don't see a point in paying for the i9.

• Thanks 1

Yeah it will mostly be for work doing video editing on the go. My XPS 15 from 2017 has been my primary mobile work laptop during the pandemic when I was away from my Mac Pro desktop for over a year and while the laptop performed very well and has paid for itself 10 times over, the Screen was becoming a problem and I even started using an Ipad as a second screen. Every review I've read has praised these laptops but they've all said explicitly that they are NOT gaming laptops so I'm cool with that. I'm primarily a console gamer and have both next gen consoles already and I'm contemplating going PC with my next desktop rather than Mac anyway... we'll see what Apple does in September. Thanks for the input @Link200 I think I'm gonna go with the 17' inch :thumbup:

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

15” is the largest laptop I would get for travel/outside home use. Anything bigger is too cumbersome. 

If you are in a position where you can store it in a backpack then travel isn't that bad. I am personally looking at smaller laptops because I am not supposed to use a backpack in uniform. At this point I am actually looking at getting a Asus Zephyrus M16 if they ever release the model I need. Same size as the G15. Only made possible because of the 16:10 screen in the M16.

Going to send back my second XPS 15 this week. The UHD+ screen looks great as well but gives me way too much eye strain. Tested a bunch of laptops at microcenter and realized I have always used matte screens and they work much better with my eyes. The M16 has a 16:10 matte screen so that should be nice to have. Colors wont pop as well but at this point I don't care.

3 hours ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

I love my 17. I couldn't imagine going back 

17” on an airplane is a nightmare unless you get Business Class. It’s also a pretty obnoxious size in meetings where you are sharing limited table space. 

1 hour ago, Link200 said:

If you are in a position where you can store it in a backpack then travel isn't that bad. I am personally looking at smaller laptops because I am not supposed to use a backpack in uniform. At this point I am actually looking at getting a Asus Zephyrus M16 if they ever release the model I need. Same size as the G15. Only made possible because of the 16:10 screen in the M16.

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro might another option. This leans towards a gaming laptop but it’s 16:10 and Walmart had it for $1500. 

On 7/25/2021 at 3:22 PM, BasemntDweller2 said:

I love my 17. I couldn't imagine going back 

My XPS 17 arrives next week and I'm looking forward to having the wider screen for video editing. The 15 inch screen was fine and I used it for a year and half exclusively because I was away from my desktop (I use an ultrawide monitor with my mac pro desktop) but things DID get cramped on that screen especially when I used Premiere. Not sure what I'm going to do with mmy XPS 15 just yet... I may give it to a relative or just keep it. 

On 7/25/2021 at 10:06 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

17” on an airplane is a nightmare unless you get Business Class. It’s also a pretty obnoxious size in meetings where you are sharing limited table space. 

Lenovo Legion 5 Pro might another option. This leans towards a gaming laptop but it’s 16:10 and Walmart had it for $1500. 

I looked at some Lenovo laptops at best buy. Not a fan of the keyboard. Then again, I may not like the ASUS keyboard either if I can get a good chance to try one. Every place I go has last gen stuff on display. We shall see!

• 2 months later...