DOTA Anime (DOTA Dragon's Blood) - Book 3 (Season 3) Coming August 11, 2022

14 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

That tweet indicates Netflix hasn’t greenlit it. That’s not a good sign. I have noticed very little press on season 2 of the show after searching and rotten tomatoes doesn’t have any reviews posted for season 2.

I think ti's different for content that's not produced by Netflix themselves. Netflix is stingy about their own content but they'd be fools to turn down stuff from outside sources. DOTA is Gabens favorite game, he'll figure out a way to get this done! :p

16 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Just finished season 2. I want more. This show proves again the potential for fantasy told in anime form. 

That tweet indicates Netflix hasn’t greenlit it. That’s not a good sign. I have noticed very little press on season 2 of the show after searching and rotten tomatoes doesn’t have any reviews posted for season 2. 

I hope I’m wrong to think the show may not get renewed. I would like the show to continue. 

Yeah I want a season 3 as well. I had heard season 1 was an enormous hit, I assume season 2 did pretty well so I think a season 3 is a given but Netflix does have that 2 season rule . . . 

• Keyser_Soze changed the title to DOTA Anime (DOTA Dragon's Blood) - Book 3 (Season 3) Coming August 11, 2022
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So finished it up. It's pretty solid though my gripes from previous seasons are still there. My biggest gripe is that the show seemingly dumps you right into the frying pan and the pacing is lightning fast so it's almost hard to gauge where you are and what is going on. It almost feels like they tried to wrap up the end of Book 2 at the start of Book 3 and then tried to finish up Book 3. I just really wish they had more episodes so they didn't have to go pedal to the metal the whole way.

There are things I appreciated as a fan of the game that if you've only watched the show you won't pick up on or that are never explained

Spoiler

I think around episode 4 is when it ties into the game a bit more, in fact I thought it was almost a setup for like an origin of DOTA type of thing.

The fragments of the moon turning people into creeps (kind of) The hellbear, it even showed like a portal of a bunch of DOTA characters like Phantom Lancer, Axe and Windranger - I was like whoa :o but I could see not resonating with other people.

Also there's a big part with the Arc Warden but the show doesn't explain who he is, so if you've never played the game you'll probably be more confused.

My biggest question though, Filomena in DOTA when? :pray:

As for further seasons, I welcome them, there are so many tales to tell and characters they could use. You could have Wraith King be the big baddie for instance.

It is unclear if there will be more as they call this the "conclusion of the battle" but could that just mean conclusion of this particular arc or just the end of the series all together?

• Halal 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 3:14 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

So finished it up. It's pretty solid though my gripes from previous seasons are still there. My biggest gripe is that the show seemingly dumps you right into the frying pan and the pacing is lightning fast so it's almost hard to gauge where you are and what is going on. It almost feels like they tried to wrap up the end of Book 2 at the start of Book 3 and then tried to finish up Book 3. I just really wish they had more episodes so they didn't have to go pedal to the metal the whole way.

I finally got around to binging season 3 and I completely agree with these criticisms. But outside of that, I thought this season was the best yet. Just going from one mind blowingly animated epic, end of the world battle to the next. Animation went to the next level this season. I loved that the show dealt with depression and grief and learning you can't change things, etc. I really enjoyed this season a lot, and I know showrunner Ashley Edward Miller has said that there's plenty of more story to tell, so they'd love to do a season 4. 

However, despite the fast pace I did feel this season was easier to follow than previous ones despite a lot of world ending stakes. The moon stuff wasn't explained so well (I was like who is this new imprisoned guy in the moon with some Ancients? And what are those?) and Selemene disappearing from the narrative were kind of strange but I'd love to see a season 4. Any word yet if we're getting one? This season functioned like a series finale in some ways. 

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Any word yet if we're getting one? This season functioned like a series finale in some ways. 

Something I would like to know as well. I would say your best bet is towards the end of The International in October, but is that too soon?

There certainly a lot of stories to tell. There are 123 characters in the game and this show didn't even have the most popular heroes in it. That being said, there were a lot of characters not in the game made just for the show that stood out on their own. Even Marci, a character made for the show became a character for the game and is actually fairly popular on her own (she keeps getting nerfs but she's still OP lol)

Like I mentioned in the spoiler one episode gave you a glimpse of a handful of characters from the game with Arc Warden having an even bigger part even though you didn't know who he was.

They could go ocean themed, there are a ton of characters from underwater cities. Slithereens Slardar or Naga Siren. Slark who was imprisoned in Dark Reef. Kunkaa Navy admiral and Tidehunter basically some sea creature.

If you want a bad guy Wraith King is still out there, Doom is basically the Devil, Queen of Pain, etc.

• Halal 1

53 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Something I would like to know as well. I would say your best bet is towards the end of The International in October, but is that too soon?

There certainly a lot of stories to tell. There are 123 characters in the game and this show didn't even have the most popular heroes in it. That being said, there were a lot of characters not in the game made just for the show that stood out on their own. Even Marci, a character made for the show became a character for the game and is actually fairly popular on her own (she keeps getting nerfs but she's still OP lol)

Yeah, I mean, I'm definitely down for more. Honestly more people looking for a good balance between fun and intense in the animated fantasy space should watch, I recommend this show as a good way to pass the time. I mean, it's Studio Mir, that's a great start.

• True 1

• 1 month later...