IO Interactive announces "Project 007" - a James Bond "origin story"

Commissar SFLUFAN

On 11/19/2020 at 2:35 PM, gamer.tv said:

For those that doubt the third person James Bond, go buy Everything or Nothing for less than the cost of an apple and enjoy a quality EA game.

Yeah, that game is great. Bloodstone is a really good third person James Bond game as well.

On 11/19/2020 at 5:18 PM, Xbob42 said:

I haven't given a single shit about a James Bond game (as I don't care about James Bond as a franchise) since the N64 title, which I adored.

There’s actually been some pretty good James Bond games over the years. I’m not the biggest James Bond fan in general, but I find a lot of the games to be fun.

On 11/23/2020 at 6:32 PM, BlueAngel said:

Operation Surma was a decent game honestly.

I agree, I really like that game.

• 2 years later...

Edge suggests the tone will be "closer to Daniel Craig than Roger Moore", which is hardly a surprise, and that this may be a more scripted experience than the relatively freeform Hitman games.

Speaking of IO Interactive...

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

There's a parallel universe out there where things went much, much worse for our favourite chrome-dome assassin.

"I didn't even have 90 days into taking over [as CEO]," IOI CEO Hakan Abrak told Edge, "and then I got the call from [Square Enix president] Matusda-san: 'We have to divest IO'." It came as a shock, but the nasty arithmetic of it all shook out. "Looking at the books, IO had not made money for almost ten years in a row" by the time Square Enix started looking to divest it, said Abrak, and that fact made acquiring it an unappealing prospect for other potential owners.

"Some companies would offer $1 to take over IO, because of the responsibilities and running costs," said Abrak, while others discussed the possibility of reducing the studio to a fifth of its size and "just [doing] free-to-play with Hitman." Abrak wasn't enthused, telling Square Enix that if that's what the company wanted, "I will do everything I can to make the transition as smooth as I can—but I don't believe in this and I will not be part of it."

"We couldn't pay anywhere near what, potentially, a big company could," said Abrak, though noting that it could have matched the $1 offers, but the studio "Paid what we could, and we came up with a deal where [Square Enix] kept a minority part, kind of a lottery ticket for them." Apparently, that was enough to satisfy IOI's former bosses, who even consented to let the studio keep the various properties it had trademarked prior to its 2009 acquisition.

It's not all sunshine and roses from there. Independence was a rocky road for IOI, and one of the studio's first moves post-divestment was to hand out redundancies to almost half its staff. Still pretty awful, but also probably the best way things could have gone from all the available options. 

• Like 2