Ultra-Wide Monitor Recommendation

Link200

So I hvae been finding that I continue to run out of monitor space when working on my PC. My current monitor has served me well over the last 4 years. I do want to upgrade to something with more than 60hz refresh rates. I no longer play games with tons of action (FPS, MOBA, etc) due to some Ulnar Nerve issues so I don't need more than 120hz to be honest. Gsync can be nice when cranking visuals in games. I am thinking about pairing the new monitor with a 2070S or 2080S. I have an old processor but that doesn't matter as much at higher resolutions :thumbup: . I may just upgrade my CPU/Mobo as well in a month or two anyway. Ryzen 3 may be calling. We shall see.

Below are the two monitors I am looking at. They are both 120hz IPS panels.

Suggestions are welcome.

Current Monitor:   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009C3M7H0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Monitor 1: https://www.microcenter.com/product/502868/predator-x34-pbmiphzx-34-uw-qhd-120hz-hdmi-dp-g-sync-curved-gaming-led-monitor

Monitor 2: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienware-Monitor-Resolution-Overclocked/dp/B0777RY75V/ref=sr_1_1?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1568230570&refinements=p_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin%3A17751789011%2Cp_n_feature_eleven_browse-bin%3A17726577011%2Cp_n_feature_twelve_browse-bin%3A17726586011&rnid=17726583011&s=pc&sr=1-1

At this price range, I think those are two of the three choices I am aware of-- and I believe that both use the same LG panel.  You may also want to look into the LG 34UC89G-B (which claims to offer 144 Hz G-Sync.)  The ASUS ultrawide monitor that I saw still used the older LG panel that was capped at 100Hz.

I haven't researched ultrawide panels in a few years, so I certainly can't offer any advice on which is "best".  I suspect that LG/Alienware/ACER will all provide a similar experience -- although you may want to partially base your purchase decisions on aesthetic preference -- because the styling on some of these monitors can be polarizing.

If I had unlimited money, I would wait for the ASUS ROG PG35VQ monitor -- which offers 200 Hz, HDR @ 100 Nits and G-Sync -- but prices are expected to be in the $2,500-$3,000 range when they become widely available.

I hope you enjoy whatever you decide on!

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

At this price range, I think those are two of the three choices I am aware of-- and I believe that both use the same LG panel.  You may also want to look into the LG 34UC89G-B (which claims to offer 144 Hz G-Sync.)  The ASUS ultrawide monitor that I saw still used the older LG panel that was capped at 100Hz.

I haven't researched ultrawide panels in a few years, so I certainly can't offer any advice on which is "best".  I suspect that LG/Alienware/ACER will all provide a similar experience -- although you may want to partially base your purchase decisions on aesthetic preference -- because the styling on some of these monitors can be polarizing.

If I had unlimited money, I would wait for the ASUS ROG PG35VQ monitor -- which offers 200 Hz, HDR @ 100 Nits and G-Sync -- but prices are expected to be in the $2,500-$3,000 range when they become widely available.

I hope you enjoy whatever you decide on!

I did notice that the Acer says it is 120hz Native rather than 120hz  overclockable like on the Alienware. I think I shall go for the Acer. Thanks for your input!

EDIT: I was wrong. Not 120 native. Microcenter was wrong. Still not a bad monitor. Looks better than the Alienware IMO.

On 9/20/2019 at 12:30 PM, Alpha1Cowboy said:

Did you get it? I e got the Alienware because it looked better at MicroCenter when I did head to head. I had to manually set it to 120hz though but that was just a one time thing

I did pick up the Acer. I am happy with it. It OCed to 120hz easily. No issues at all. The reason I decided to get the Acer is because reviews for the alienware seemed to show they had some issues with the overclock to 120. Glad it is working for you!

I did have to make some changes because the default settings were a bit off. This could be why the Alienware looked better in the store. I wouldn't be surprised if it had better calibration out of the box. When Acer updated the panel they screwed up their calibration.

I will say in AC: Origins the monitor defaults to 60hz max for some reason. I imagine it is because of the game since tons of other people have had similar complaints.

EDIT: Ah, found out why Origins fucks up the monitor. It has its own display settings and assumed 60hz was the native refresh rate.