Ubisoft implementing "silent key activation" for games sold through third-party storefronts

Ubisoft is trying to wipe out (secondary market) key reselling with 'silent key activation' (PC Gamer)

Ubisoft has teamed up with digital distribution firm Genba Digital to change its method of selling PC games through third-party stores like Fanatical and Games Republic. The new process is called 'silent key activation' and activates games on platforms like Steam and Uplay automatically rather than giving out codes to retailers and customers. From now on, Ubisoft will only sell games through sites that use SKA. 

This process already exists for Ubisoft titles sold through Green Man Gaming.  If you buy a Ubisoft title at GMG, you don't receive a key - you're immediately asked to activate the game on your Uplay account.

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I guess no one will get gifted a  Ubi game on PC now.

At least on GMG, you can gift the items in your basket (including Uplay titles) to a friend - you will be sent a "Green Code" with your order confirmation to provide to the intended gift recipient.

39 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I guess no one will get gifted a  Ubi game on PC now.

EDIT: Tried to confirm this by using the uplay launcher, going to the store and checking but the store is bugged and shows nothing. Great launcher! :twothumbsup:

I'm not following - why were you using the Uplay launcher directly when this is for third-party storefronts? :confused:

23 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm not following - why were you using the Uplay launcher directly when this is for third-party storefronts? :confused:

I made a statement "no one will get a gift" I was checking to see if you could do it through uplay to see if it was possible otherwise I would have said "no one will get a gift, except for through uplay" - or something like that. I probably wouldn't have bothered anyway. That's my reasoning. :p