Biden, Sanders take victory lap after drugmakers cap cost of inhalers

WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

Inhalers can be expensive, particularly for those without insurance.

"Here is some good news," Sanders said Wednesday, speaking ahead of the president. "Despite all of the incredible wealth and political power of the pharmaceutical industry — believe it or not, they have over 1,800 well-paid lobbyists right here in D.C. — despite all of that, the Biden administration and Democrats in Congress are beginning to make some progress."

Now, "the vast majority of Americans will pay no more than $35 at the pharmacy counter for the inhalers they purchase," Sanders said.

"Bernie, you and I have been fighting this for 25 years," the president said Wednesday. "Finally, finally we beat big Pharma. Finally. I'm serious. I'm proud — I'm proud my administration has taken on big Pharma, in the most significant ways ever. And I wouldn't have done it without Bernie."

Mr. Biden and Sanders said they are pressuring drug companies that are charging hundreds of dollars for inhalers, and the president is trying to cap costs for insulin to $35. Earlier this year, Sanders and several Democratic colleagues have criticized four major inhaler manufacturers — AstraZeneca, GSK, Teva Pharmaceuticals and Boehringer — for having significantly higher prices in the U.S. than elsewhere. Since then, one inhaler manufacturer has nixed patents, and three of the largest inhaler manufacturers plan to cap the cost of inhalers for many patients at $35 a month, according to a White House official.

The Federal Trade Commission is challenging the validity of drug product patents, including inhalers, in an effort to curb prices and increase competition.

• Like 4