4TB Ally SSD upgrade a success!!

HardAct

Well I finally upgraded my Ally's internal storage as I'm not wasting another second of my time with the SHITTY ASS Micro SD slot in this thing! What a FAIL in an otherwise fantastic handheld gaming console. Those interested in what I put in I'll list the parts I ordered and the Install couldn't have been easier.

Parts Needed / used

---------------------------

1. Crucial Gen4 4TB SSD

2. You'll need this 90degree M.2 drive adapter to install full-sized drive into the ALLY!

Having 4Tb in this thing feels like cheating. It's every bit as fast as the drive that was in there and if they ever release a GEN2 Ally I'll just reverse this upgrade and us the new 4TB drive in the next one placing the original tiny one back in a sell/give it away.....I Highly recommend this upgrade as the Micro SD slot will kill cards I've lost 2 512 gig samsung top of the line Micro cards in there. I was able to get them replaced through Best Buy but I'm not doing it a 3rd time!

• Like 1
  • Hype 1

Just now, HardAct said:

Well I finally upgraded my Ally's internal storage as I'm not wasting another second of my time with the SHITTY ASS Micro SD slot in this thing! What a FAIL in an otherwise fantastic handheld gaming console. Those interested in what I put in I'll list the parts I ordered and the Install couldn't have been easier.

Parts Needed / used

---------------------------

1. Crucial Gen4 4TB SSD

2. You'll need this 90degree M.2 drive adapter to install full-sized drive into the ALLY!

Having 4Tb in this thing feels like cheating. It's every bit as fast as the drive that was in there and if they ever release a GEN2 Ally I'll just reverse this upgrade and us the new 4TB drive in the next one placing the original tiny one back in a sell/give it away.....I Highly recommend this upgrade as the Micro SD slot will kill cards I've lost 2 512 gig samsung top of the line Micro cards in there. I was able to get them replaced through Best Buy but I'm not doing it a 3rd time!

I used the 4tb WD drive but I also updated both the Ally and my oled deck with it. The ally is actually a little easier imo. Both are pretty simple enough that even my uncoordinated ass can do it.

21 hours ago, stepee said:

I used the 4tb WD drive but I also updated both the Ally and my oled deck with it. The ally is actually a little easier imo. Both are pretty simple enough that even my uncoordinated ass can do it.

Did you use an angle adapter for yours too?

Yea it's a major upgrade and a NEEDED one IMO. The Ally was just really simple, maybe 30-40 minutes and most was just laying out all my tools and matt etc. I haven't touched the SDeck because the Micro Card slot actually works and I have much smaller games on it too. I did the Hall affect stick upgrade on the Sdeck along with the soldering and that was a bit tedious as I'm not the greatest solderer {words?} but I'm improving for sure. So the track pads work. The SD needed these sticks badly and I so wish the Ally had them and I HATE how the ROG's sticks rub on the edges while you use them. I'm not hard on any of my equipment and there pretty bad feeling.