Tencent reportedly expressing interest in acquiring D&D IP from Hasbro, Larian Studios (30% owned by Tencent) acting as intermediary

COMICBOOK.COM

Chinese company Tencent is reportedly looking to gain control of Dungeons & Dragons.

A bombshell report claims that a Chinese media company is seeking to purchase the iconic Dungeons & Dragons brand, or at least some part of it, from Hasbro. Speed Daily, a Chinese media site, is reporting that Tencent, a Chinese conglomerate company that owns Riot Games and has ownership shares in Epic Games, Fatshark Games, and several other game companies, is looking to purchase the Dungeons & Dragons IP from Hasbro or alternatively is seeking to purchase some kind of exclusive rights to make Dungeons & Dragons video games. A translation of the report can be found on English site Pan Daily. 

Per the report, Hasbro reached out to Larian Studios about potentially acquiring the Dungeons & Dragons IP after the success of Baldur's Gate 3. While Larian had insufficient funds for a transaction, it served as an intermediary between Hasbro and Tencent, as Tencent is a minority investor in Larian Studios. The report notes that Hasbro is pursuing the acquisition because of the company's recent struggles, which has led to operating losses and job cuts across the company.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tencent reportedly expressing interest in acquiring D&D IP from Hasbro, Larian Studios (30% owned by Tencent) acting as intermediary

As much as I liked BG3, can't say I'm a big fan of the D&D rules, at least 5e, but I don't think 5e is really the issue. I can't really remember what the major issues I had with it were atm tho. And as someone who has never engaged with D&D I still feel like there is still the issue of jumping into an established universe with no real lore knowledge. Unlike a game like Dragon Age where you learn pretty much everything you need to know.

All of that is to say, would love to see more games like BG3, just not ones with the D&D coat of paint.

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

As much as I liked BG3, can't say I'm a big fan of the D&D rules, at least 5e, but I don't think 5e is really the issue. I can't really remember what the major issues I had with it were atm tho. And as someone who has never engaged with D&D I still feel like there is still the issue of jumping into an established universe with no real lore knowledge. Unlike a game like Dragon Age where you learn pretty much everything you need to know.

All of that is to say, would love to see more games like BG3, just not ones with the D&D coat of paint.

So what you're saying is you want to play Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2.

15 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

So what you're saying is you want to play Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2.

Yes, if they can get around to making the player the main character.

With 1 you get dual protags which I'm not interested in. And in 2 your character seems unimportant. Thankfully, with BG3 and going Dark Urge your custom character finally feels like they have relevance to the plot but it could be far better. I want my character to be the head honcho. I don't care if they go the DA:O route or the Mass Effect route, they gotta do one or the other.

Let me self-insert fully while being the most important character(FF14/DA:O) or let control the life of a singular defined character while being the only main character (Shepard/Geralt).

Hell, as long as there is a singular main character like a Cloud, Tidus, Alphen, Yuri, Luke, etc (not sure why I only did JRPGs) then I'm good. I don't like How BG3 has no real main character. You can pick a "primary" character but they aren't really the main character.