On the whole, millennials and GenX'ers did a good job at raising children

Fizzzzle

I just worked a prom tonight (last minute) and the whole time I couldn't help but think "you guys are so fucking COOL." Like, I don't remember being in the same zip code of cool as they are when I was 18. There were over 200 of these little fucks, and do you know what? Every single one of them was kind, compassionate, respectful of each other, and accepting of each others. There was all kinds of LGBTQ+ representation at this shindig. No one cared. 

I had the same reaction when I hung out with my little brother's friends while I visited him a couple years ago. His friends are so fucking rad, I love it.

Point being, whatever we're doing, we're doing it right. I feel like I've spent my entire adult life trying to unfuck myself. Meanwhile we're telling our kids "it's okay to be sad. It's okay to be different." And hot fuck do I see that in almost every interaction I've had with teenagers over the last few years.

Sorry, that's my soap box for the day.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to On the whole, millennials and GenX'ers did a good job at raising children
11 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I just worked a prom tonight (last minute) and the whole time I couldn't help but think "you guys are so fucking COOL." Like, I don't remember being in the same zip code of cool as they are when I was 18. There were over 200 of these little fucks, and do you know what? Every single one of them was kind, compassionate, respectful of each other, and accepting of each others. There was all kinds of LGBTQ+ representation at this shindig. No one cared. 

I had the same reaction when I hung out with my little brother's friends while I visited him a couple years ago. His friends are so fucking rad, I love it.

Point being, whatever we're doing, we're doing it right. I feel like I've spent my entire adult life trying to unfuck myself. Meanwhile we're telling our kids "it's okay to be sad. It's okay to be different." And hot fuck do I see that in almost every interaction I've had with teenagers over the last few years.

Sorry, that's my soap box for the day.

Yea, I see it with my nephews and niece. All in HS and my niece is 23 and they are all leagues above where I was at that age. It's extremely positive to see.

I always like the idea that the following generation will learn from the mistakes of their parents. For my generation, also from their mistakes (and general outlook) being a Millennial would be a good plan. 

I think my wife and I really hope our daughter continues to show the attributes we've seen the most from her already. She's incredibly kind, very independent, and very resilient. I just hope that we can keep on steering her down that path and I feel she'll be OK. 

• Like 1