Francisco Franco finally launches election campaign against Mussolini. Bets on the winner?

This is basically as close to a formal declaration of DeSantis’s candidacy as we’ll probably get before the legal deadline.

I used to be of the “he has no chance against Trump” school of thought, but I’m not so sure now.  It’s not just that Trump won’t be able to brush off the stink of January 6th.  It’s that DeSantis is right—Republicans hate ‘losing’ more than they love Trump. Winning matters more than principles, policy, or ethics.  Behind all the ideological posturing about ‘murica, politics is just sports to your average not-so-bright conservative, (sans the comparative sanity of the anti-Trump faction and sections of the libertarian/business class wing) and they could care less about who the quarterback is.  And Trump lost.

Plus, DeSantis has nothing in his record that even bares a whiff of liberalism or cooperation with anyone left-of-center, and he’s offered the base plenty of red meat, making ‘defection’ to him from dear leader’s camp socially acceptable to movement conservatives.

I smell upset.  Whether that would be a good thing or not, I’m unsure on.  Do you want your villains to be lawful evil (DeSantis) or chaotic evil (Trump)?  Hard to say.

4 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

It’s that DeSantis is right—Republicans hate ‘losing’ more than they love Trump. Winning matters more than principles, policy, or ethics.  

I’m still not sure (I easily see both sides of this argument), but my guess is that’s the message they’ve researched as a way to get Trump voters on his side without having to disqualify Trump in other ways.

Considering how many republicans think it’s the voting machines because they can’t grasp that they’re a minority, that is plenty of people who need to be convinced that they’re actually losing because Trump is a loser.