Killer Frequency: a first-person horror adventure where you play a 1980s late-night radio DJ guiding callers to safety over the phone, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

This has got a helluva premise!

e609d3_8ae9dc1bac5746979fee78c20d03b8d8%
WWW.KILLERFREQUENCY.GAME

Killer Frequency is a VR, horror adventure game. Solve puzzles, save lives and run the switchboards.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1676585189
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Killer Frequency is a first-person horror adventure that puts you in the shoes of Forrest Nash, a late-night radio host whose callers are being stalked by a mysterious killer. Solve puzzles, save lives and run the switchboards, all while listening to a jukebox of retro ‘80s tunes!

EKpZSheAcr5TSkvWxhvYcc-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

First-person horror with vinyl records? Don't mind if I do.

You are Forrest Nash, late-night radio host in the 1980s, and somebody is murdering the people who call your station. That's the setup for Team17's Killer Frequency, a first-person horror adventure that that has you give instructions from guidebooks and maps to people over the phone in order to save their lives as they're stalked by a merciless murder-movie-style slasher.

It'll release on both Steam as a flat-screen experience and VR platforms when it comes, which is "soon." It's made by publisher Team17's in-house studio, Team17 Digital.

A trailer for the game, released this past weekend, shows frantic gameplay where the DJ protagonist is called on to both do their job at the station and figure out the solutions to callers' problems.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Killer Frequency: a first-person horror adventure where you play a 1980s late-night radio DJ guiding callers to safety over the phone

This concept seems absolutely perfect for AI-generated conversations and interactions, typing or naturally speaking instructions, asking questions, getting real, comprehensive, mostly believable answers instead of what I assume will be canned responses could be so neat. An AI-driven NPC somewhere on the other side of the map, perhaps in actuality just navigating some grayboxed environment with a cone of vision, conveying what it sees and asking what it should do... could be real cool.

As for what this game actually is, still seems neat and I look forward to it!

• 3 months later...

Game Information

Game Title: Killer Frequency

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Jun 2, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jun 2, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Jun 2, 2023)
  • PC (Jun 2, 2023)
  • Oculus Rift (Jun 2, 2023)

Developer: Team 17

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 76 average - 88% recommended

Critic Reviews
Thumb Culture - 5 / 5

If you pick up one game through the first half of the year, this one has to be right up at the top of the list. Killer Frequency tries something I have never experienced, and hits every single ball out the park. I haven’t been this excited for gamers to get their hands on a game in a long time! Especially with this one being such a fun game to play through.

GameGrin - Artura Dawn - 9 / 10

This is 189.16, The Scream, I am Forrest Nash, and I sincerely recommend you pick up this title! Simple puzzles and hilarious dialogue mean just about anyone should tune in to Killer Frequency.

GamePitt - Rob Pitt - 9 / 10

I really enjoyed Killer Frequency, having to search the studio for clues on how to guide the unlucky victims to safety was lots of fun and very creative. Although I would have liked some of the solutions to be more cryptic and challenging, I was still overcome with satisfaction upon working out the solutions and either saving or killing everyone that called in (depending on my mood). Outside of the imaginative puzzles, the banter and underlying story were very entertaining and an experience I won’t soon forget.

Use a Potion - 8.5 / 10

Killer Frequency’s slick twist of clever puzzling and comedy-horror is a whole lot of fun, even IF it isn’t a particularly challenging experience. But hey, whilst the puzzles aren’t too tricky, the way they’re presented is undeniably cool, whilst the radio DJ role you play is wonderfully executed in-game. Add to that the 80s vibe and charming presentation and it’ll be clear it definitely deserves your attention.

I just had a really good time with the game, and whilst I’ll admit that it might have been even more fun to play in VR, helping folks survive the wrath of a killer on a rampage was a blast.

Capsule Computers - Travis Bruno - 8 / 10

Though it may have some small issues Killer Frequency creates a unique blend of horror, puzzle, and adventure that will delight slasher fans with plenty of camp and solid storytelling.

PlayStation Universe - Neil Bolt - 8 / 10

Killer Frequency is a refreshing puzzle adventure under the guise of an 80s slasher flick. Its flirtation with real-time life-or-death decision-making serves to keep it an interesting and varied horror experience.

Checkpoint Gaming - Luke Mitchell - 7.5 / 10

With a truly unique concept that's different from any other horror game out there, Killer Frequency mixes just the right amount of campy thrills to keep its serial killer narrative moving along swiftly. As you're saving civilians using clues around the radio station while cracking jokes and enjoying some retro-inspired tracks, it's hard not to get invested in the story and setting, especially as it features such strong performances from its wacky cast. The pace can be slow at times, but the twists and turns kept me eager to speak with every new caller. You can trust me as a seasoned producer and presenter: this is one radio program worth tuning in for.

Push Square - Stephen Tailby - 6 / 10

Despite our complaints, though, Killer Frequency is lifted by its daft charm. It's an intriguing, unorthodox murder mystery that fans of narrative-driven games will certainly enjoy — it just needed a little bit more tuning.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Killer Frequency: a first-person horror adventure where you play a 1980s late-night radio DJ guiding callers to safety over the phone, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted