Man City charged by Premier League for multiple financial fair play breaches

AbsolutSurgen

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2021%2F0406%2Fr836697_1
WWW.ESPN.CO.UK

Manchester City have been charged by the Premier League over breaking financial rules across nine seasons.

Manchester City have been charged by the Premier League over breaking financial rules across nine seasons, the league announced on Monday.

The Premier League confirmed that a number of alleged breaches between the 2009-10 and 2017-18 seasons have been referred to an independent commission with the conclusion of a four-year investigation.

The commission will be held in private and can impose open-ended sanctions, which could include fines, points deductions or relegation from the Premier League.

Premier League statement read: "In accordance with Premier League Rule W.82.1, the Premier League confirms that it has today referred a number of alleged breaches of the Premier League Rules by Manchester City Football Club to a Commission under Premier League Rule W.3.4."

City have been charged with more than 100 breaches of rules which required the club, according to the Premier League, to provide "accurate financial information that gives a true and fair view of the club's financial position."

City have also been accused of failing to cooperate with the investigation.

In response, City issued a statement on Monday that read: "Manchester City FC is surprised by the issuing of these alleged breaches of the Premier League Rules, particularly given the extensive engagement and vast amount of detailed materials that the EPL has been provided with.

"The club welcomes the review of this matter by an independent Commission, to impartially consider the comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence that exists in support of its position.

"As such we look forward to this matter being put to rest once and for all.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

I have softened my stance since @sblfilms pointed out it is kinda rascist that this is a problem with Arab billionaires but somehow cool if it's a western billionaire. 

But I'm not gonna front it is as the kids say sus that a team that was basically irrelevant aside from local fans and the odd international fans prior to 2008 makes more money then Real Madrid. Like I know the league has stupid money but I don't think plastic fans alone could cause that. Could be wrong of course and will admit it if I get proven otherwise.

Edit: It's hard to make money in soccer. Like it was okay before but you do run into more resistance from football fans abroad then in America. Plus it's gonna be really hard to compete with teams that are owned by states that don't care if they profit from the venture but use it for sportswashing and asset diversification. Imagine the FSG and Glazier rumors are them realizing it's not worth fighting unlimited money to make money. Just the money PSG and City can throw around is unsustainable unless you have creative accounting I imagine.