My wife has decided to put a pool in, and I don't know how I feel about it

2 hours ago, SmugPrick said:

dude at the pool store said I should run it 24/7...maybe its due to my filter type? I have a DE Filter. 

Hmm. I don’t think it matters what filter. I have sand bty.

maintenance.jpg
WWW.SWIMMINGPOOL.COM

How long should you run your pool pump? It all depends on how much water your pool holds in gallons. Find out the correct amount of time to run...

Long story short approximately 8 hours for a full cycle but I would do longer anyway. I basically run it  just before I get home from work until like 3 in the morning. That way it’s always on while I’m home cuz it looks nice. Run it all weekend because I’m likely to run the heater early in the morning. Where I live, electricity is cheaper on evening and weekends so I try to run during none peak hours for the most part

ok last edit:

WWW.STERLINGPOOLSERVICE.COM

A pool pump is necessary in order to help keep your pool clean in Dallas, Texas. Read on for advice on how long daily operation should be.

This one is specifically about de filters and says you shouldn’t run it 24/7

i disagree that 8 hours is enough but still

and of course u run it 24 hours after shocking 

19 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

Hmm. I don’t think it matters what filter. I have sand bty.

maintenance.jpg
WWW.SWIMMINGPOOL.COM

How long should you run your pool pump? It all depends on how much water your pool holds in gallons. Find out the correct amount of time to run...

Long story short approximately 8 hours for a full cycle but I would do longer anyway. I basically run it  just before I get home from work until like 3 in the morning. That way it’s always on while I’m home cuz it looks nice. Run it all weekend because I’m likely to run the heater early in the morning. Where I live, electricity is cheaper on evening and weekends so I try to run during none peak hours for the most part

ok last edit:

WWW.STERLINGPOOLSERVICE.COM

A pool pump is necessary in order to help keep your pool clean in Dallas, Texas. Read on for advice on how long daily operation should be.

This one is specifically about de filters and says you shouldn’t run it 24/7

i disagree that 8 hours is enough but still

and of course u run it 24 hours after shocking 

im  going to wire in a timer next year then. I wish there was some sort of wifi option these days though. Hell my back yard irrigation can be used with an app. 

• 1 month later...

I started looking in to GCing the thing myself and it will be literally half the cost. I went driving around a neighborhood where I know pools were going in and just talked to the different trades and got their phone numbers.  If you have the patience for it, seems like pool GCing is quite lucrative.

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I started looking in to GCing the thing myself and it will be literally half the cost. I went driving around a neighborhood where I know pools were going in and just talked to the different trades and got their phone numbers.  If you have the patience for it, seems like pool GCing is quite lucrative.

Make sure you have a ramp animals can swim out of.