Youtube video critique?

XxEvil AshxX

Okay... I'm not sure if this is against any kinds of TOS, since I know it's not a common thing for people to ask around here... but this is the only knowledge pool I know to tap into, so I'm looking for some feedback.

I started taking my Youtube channel seriously a few months ago, and I've been putting videos into it. And I know that overnight success is virtually impossible unless you're a celebrity or already have a following from another outlet. But I'm trying to understand what people like, and I don't yet have the reach in order for the algorithm to start populating the data like demographics, etc. I can only go by how my own videos are performing.

So far, my best performing video is one on Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony... which is surprising because it was really just some old PSP game I played for my Side Quest series and wasn't really expecting much to come of it. The video itself is pretty basic, it's practically a stream of me on cam just talking about the game. Relatively unscripted.

I have a few other videos on there that are scripted and edited that aren't getting nearly the traction.

My Call of Duty videos aren't getting any except for one or two videos, but I'm not too surprised by that... those were my first series and they're pretty basic (and not very good). In fact, once I get more of the other videos uploaded I am considering removing the Call of Duty videos completely as they might be hurting my channel in the long run. (They were admittedly just practice in the first place).

I personally prefer scripted, edited videos as opposed to someone just talking at a camera (or streaming and not saying anything). I like watching ACG, SkillUp, Colt Eastwood, RDX, and a few others.

Quality aside (I know I still have a long way to go), what are the kinds of videos you all like to watch?

Link to my channel - I'm not panhandling my channel for clicks, but if you're curious or want to critique, there it is. I don't mind if you tear it to pieces.

At the end of the day, it's all going to come down to the almighty algorithm, but ya know.. a little market research never hurt... I have realized that I need to make my thumbnails brighter and more attention-grabbing. They look fine on their own but looking at my channel I can tell it's very drab and dull.

TBH, I found everything about the two videos I watched dull and uninteresting. You don’t even seem interested when talking about one of the few games you had bothered to purchase twice because you liked it so much.

43 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Quality aside (I know I still have a long way to go), what are the kinds of videos you all like to watch?

Personally for me the game doesn't matter to me, it mostly comes down to the person I like is playing the game. For instance I don't give two hoots about Action Biker for the Commodore 64 but Jeff Gerstmann is talking about it and playing it in a video so I watched it.

I've commented on your videos previously and I think they're pretty solid. I guess my critique is maybe put more of your personality into it.

As a side note, on one of my youtube channels I posted J-pop music videos a long time ago (like eons ago) and that's a no-no now, in fact some won't even play in certain countries. So I recently uploaded  some gameplay videos of Naraka and some person chimed in in the comments I should upload more j-pop videos, to which I said is no longer possible, but they didn't understand. :p

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've commented on your videos previously and I think they're pretty solid. I guess my critique is maybe put more of your personality into it.

Yeah, that's my biggest hurdle (as I knew it would be). I'm ridiculously average. 

And I have a sense of humor that would probably get me permabanned, so I tend to hold back in that regard...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Yeah, that's my biggest hurdle (as I knew it would be). I'm ridiculously average. 

And I have a sense of humor that would probably get me permabanned, so I tend to hold back in that regard...

Just about anything can be interesting to hear somebody talk about when it *feels* like they are excited about the subject. I would try and pay attention to that when you watch other people’s videos. Maybe even look up topics that you don’t find interesting and find some channels with a lot of subs, and see how they talk about the subject they cover.