PC-Engine CD game recommendations (Other than Castlevania)

chakoo

So, after long resisting getting into PC-Engine CD-Rom games I finally caved and bought a Super CD add-on (will have it in December). While I wait for it to arrive I've been spending some time looking into what CD-Rom based games I should look into getting (other than an obvious one like Castlevania: Rondo). Yet in my search I've come across more HuCard games I want to get instead. =/ 

So any recommendations? I'm not adverse to games heavily in Japanese.

15 hours ago, dualhunter said:

The Dynastic Hero (Wonderboy in Monster World with different graphics and soundtrack) and Ys Book I&II.

I'm familiar with Dynastic Hero but haven't played that version so I'll keep an eye out for it. Ys i'm on the fence because I've already played it many times on other platforms and the english version can be a little pricey at times.

I only played them on Virtual Console. You could try checking the VC games list for ideas, you'll have to figure out which ones are CD but at least you can get an idea of what the games are like and the games that got a VC release are more likely to have reviews to help you decide what to get.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)#TurboGrafx-16/TurboGrafx-CD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(Japan)#PC_Engine

8 hours ago, dualhunter said:

I only played them on Virtual Console. You could try checking the VC games list for ideas, you'll have to figure out which ones are CD but at least you can get an idea of what the games are like and the games that got a VC release are more likely to have reviews to help you decide what to get.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)#TurboGrafx-16/TurboGrafx-CD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(Japan)#PC_Engine

I already own some of those games already for PC-Engine plus I have a PC-Engine Mini witch has a bunch of those as well.

I think where i'm hitting a bit of a mental roadblock is because when I bought my PC-Engine many years ago it felt the wisdom at the time is the CD-Rom and a Duo is where things were at but I felt the CoreGrafx unit would still keep me happy. Now that i'm getting a Super CD-Rom add-on for my system I feel like i'm coming up a bit low on what to seek out and I could easily find more HuCard games I want atm.

At the moment I'm mostly considering:

Fighting Street (Yeah SF1 isn't great but I still want it)
Dragon Slayer

Panic Bomberman

Ys 1 & 2 (maybe?)

SNK ports for the Arcade Card

• 2 weeks later...

So update on the system, it powers up but can't read the disc.  When powering it on for the first time there was a strong increase smell of fish which means the caps need to be replaced. So I've ordered a replacement kit that will be here in a few weeks. I did check the PCB and other than cleaning up a little fluid around the power caps I didn't see any damage on the PCB. The system does try to read the disc and is able to move the laser and spin the disc. So hopefully after a recap the system will be working order. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2022 at 12:55 PM, chakoo said:

So update on the system, it powers up but can't read the disc.  When powering it on for the first time there was a strong increase smell of fish which means the caps need to be replaced. So I've ordered a replacement kit that will be here in a few weeks. I did check the PCB and other than cleaning up a little fluid around the power caps I didn't see any damage on the PCB. The system does try to read the disc and is able to move the laser and spin the disc. So hopefully after a recap the system will be working order. 

Oh no :( I'm sorry to hear that. I have heard the CD systems in particular tend to have high failure rates - hopefully recapping it will improve it.

17 hours ago, X-pert74 said:

Oh no :( I'm sorry to hear that. I have heard the CD systems in particular tend to have high failure rates - hopefully recapping it will improve it.

It's not a big deal. I didn't get a steal but paid a fair price for it (repaired/confirmed working units go for about 18,000+ yen).It's pretty common that all CDRom PC-Engine devices will need to be recapped. At least the cd drive looks good as another common issue is busted gears or burned out motor which this unit doesn't look to have.

Bigger issue is I shouldn't have been a dumb dumb and wait till the unit arrived before ordering caps. So i'm more stuck in the waiting game for them to arrive in the post. =/

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this. I got my caps in a few weeks ago but when trying to desolder a few I felt less confident in my skills and decided to hold out. I've got an iron but I think I'm going to pick up a cheap desolder gun first before I continue. The old solder is not melting very well (even when applying fresh solder) and I don't want to overheat the contacts as I risk damaging them and there are a lot of caps to replace. =/

• 1 month later...