Texas school districts distribute student DNA kits in case of school shootings

They had these back even when I was in kindergarten. It’s not for mass shootings, it is in the event of a child going missing generally. Many police departments do big events annually to encourage parents to put together a kit. Our pediatrician has had a sign in the waiting room for this place for years now

WWW.CHILDSAFEKIT.COM

Nearly 1400 U.S. kids go missing each day. Order a No-Cost Child Safe® Kit to record your child’s info! Only you have access to your child’s info.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yep and the only way to prevent that is to give the police your child’s fingerprints and dna (don’t ask what they’re doing with the data or how long they keep it, you willingly gave it to them after all)

You don’t give it to them ahead of time, you keep the kit on hand in the event your child goes missing :p 

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You don’t give it to them ahead of time, you keep the kit on hand in the event your child goes missing :p 

I guess I got it confused with this:

Mukherji-169-scaled.jpg
NEWJERSEYMONITOR.COM

Civil rights advocates sounded the alarm when state police used an infant’s years-old blood sample to link the father to an old rape case

I do recall there being a school event I read about where kids got their fingerprints done with the police and cops kept the prints but my googling isn’t getting me what I want 

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yep and the only way to prevent that is to give the police your child’s fingerprints and dna (don’t ask what they’re doing with the data or how long they keep it, you willingly gave it to them after all)

If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to be worried about!

face_republican_circa2001

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

They had these back even when I was in kindergarten. It’s not for mass shootings, it is in the event of a child going missing generally. Many police departments do big events annually to encourage parents to put together a kit. Our pediatrician has had a sign in the waiting room for this place for years now

WWW.CHILDSAFEKIT.COM

Nearly 1400 U.S. kids go missing each day. Order a No-Cost Child Safe® Kit to record your child’s info! Only you have access to your child’s info.

This is actually the first time I've ever heard of this. Totally wasn't a thing when I was in school. I'm guessing this is more likely a thing in states that have more missing kids than somewhere up here like New England. So maybe more common, in like Texas, California, Florida, and New York. Just going off memory...those states might not still be the worst offenders for missing children. Last time I looked it up, most missing kids in Massachusetts are a result of parents snatching their kids from foster care. I do know a foster mother that had to deal with that. Mother of one of her foster kids just picked up her daughter after school, right before she got on the bus. Teacher didn't think anything of it since the girl was ecstatic. The state, not so much.