Moonbreaker (turn-based strategy, tabletop miniatures tactics from Subnautica devs, set in Brandon Sanderson-created universe) - Gameplay Reveal Trailer, Steam Early Access begins on September 29

Pikachu

Welcome to The Reaches! 🌙💥

Moonbreaker is releasing into Early Access on September 29th.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1661284526
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Moonbreaker is a turn-based strategy, tabletop tactics game. Designed to be a true digital miniatures experience, set in an expansive sci-fi universe crafted by Brandon Sanderson. Direct Captain & Crew to determine the fate of the Reaches in gripping, ever changing competition & adventure.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Moonbreaker (turn-based strategy, tabletop miniatures tactics from Subnautica devs, set in Brandon Sanderson-created universe) - Gameplay Reveal Trailer, Steam Early Access begins on September 29

Hands-off preview articles:

moonbreaker-art.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

After two games of terrifying deep sea survival, Subnautica developer Unknown Worlds is heading in a very different dir…

After two games of terrifying deep sea survival, Subnautica developer Unknown Worlds is heading in a very different direction for its next project - a tabletop-inspired turn-based tactics game going by the name Moonbreaker, entering Steam early access on 29th September.

On a fundamental level, Moonbreaker, which has been in development for around five years, is surprisingly straightforward; each game sees players - either working against a human or AI opponent - strategising their way around a board, using careful positioning to their advantage as they work to annihilate the opposing player's Captain.

So far so straightforward, but the complexity arrives when you begin factoring in the tactical options available to players during a match, including the likes of cover - which can either impenetrable or penetrable with an accuracy cost - plus Captains, crew members, ship assists, and resource management.

moonbreaker-reveal-12.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Moonbreaker is a new turn-based strategy game seeking to emulate all the fun - and painting - of a tabletop miniatures game, from the devs behind Subnautica.

Imagine I have a weird alien squid pointed right at you. I need you to tell me what the developers of open-world watery survival game Subnautica are making next. Just, your best guess, or the squid'll getcha with its weird alien ink. Ready? Go!.... Okay, well congratulations to anyone who said "a turn-based strategy game inspired by tabletop miniatures". Unlikely as it may seem you were right, and everyone else was wrong. It's called Moonbreaker and it's hitting early access on September 29. And Brandon Sanderson is at this party, too.

I admit it was a trick question, but look, I'm a genuinely big fan of devs doing a completely different project after a successful game. I also know a whole lotta people who love painting plastic fighters in cool colours, carefuly placing them on a tabletop, and slowly pushing them into other plastic fighters in different colours. I'm absolutely sure that Unknown Worlds will make a very good version of a digital tabletop strategy game. I must admit, though, that whenever a video game like this emerges, I sort of wonder why tabletop-thusiasts would buy it instead of more actual miniatures.

In an hour long, hands-off preview presentation, I got to see just how tabletoppy Moonbreaker is. The board you're on has landscaped features designed to look like a custom build you'd see in Games Workshop on a Friday night; the water looks like poured expoxy resin, and the banks are covered in plants made of that grassy dust stuff. It's a sort of labour of love for Unknown Worlds, a digital exploration of a favourite hobby. And if, like me, your impression of most tabletop games is from Warhammer 40k, where the ruins are mostly different flavours of rock and mud, Moonbreaker is an explosion of tropical colour and space pirates.

moonbreaker_smugglersrefinerygameplay2.j
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

The stunning tactical game draws deep inspiration from tabletop miniature gaming.

Hearthstone with miniatures. It’s an oversimplification, but if the idea captures your imagination, you recognize why the developers at Unknown Worlds think they’ve hit on something special. Best known for Subnautica, the team has been quietly working on a wholly digital miniatures game for the last five years. Built to emulate the collectability, customization, and tactical sophistication of the best tabletop miniature games, Moonbreaker aims to nail the magic and appeal of the real-life hobby, but with some of the approachability inherent to video games. After over an hour checking out the result, I’m convinced Unknown Worlds is onto something.

Set in an original sci-fi/fantasy universe built in partnership with celebrated author Brandon Sanderson, Moonbreaker explores a remote distant solar system called The Reaches, in which a multitude of moons carve intricate orbits around each other, each housing unique cultures and peoples. A rare resource called Cinder hides deep in the mantle of these moons and fuels the abilities of superpowered individuals called Solars. To survive, these Solars must consume more Cinder, so they gather a crew to their sides and set forth on their ships to gather the precious substance.

With that setup, players are dropped into the shoes of one of these ship captains. The fiction seems to borrow from sci-fi like Firefly and Guardians of the Galaxy and more terrestrial nods to properties like Pirates of the Caribbean. In the tense, one-vs-one battles (against AI or human players), you pit your captain and up to ten crew against your opponent and aim to take down the enemy captain by whatever means possible.

Im definitely looking forward to trying this. I doubt it'll be very popular, but I love this stuff. 

I wish GW would make a real 40k simulator. An AoS sim too. All rules updated as codices and rules updates came out. They could make a fortune, and probably expand the games popularity. 

I know tabletop simulator exists, but its not the same. 

gamescom-2022-blogroll-moon-166160599083
WWW.IGN.COM

Moonbreaker is an exciting mix of Hearthstone-like strategy and the relaxing miniature painting of Warhammer.

The worlds of tabletop games and video games have often overlapped. Here at Gamescom 2022 there are three different Warhammer games, and over the years we’ve seen the likes of D&D, Pathfinder and more adapted into a variety of video game forms. But Moonbreaker, from Subnautica developer Unknown Worlds Entertainment, is unlike any tabletop-inspired video game I’ve ever seen. Rather than making the lore a reality, Moonbreaker quite literally is a competitive tabletop miniatures game played with figures you paint yourself. It’s a celebration of the paint-and-play hobby, and I think it has the potential to be brilliant.

Unlike the games I’ve already mentioned, Moonbreaker is not based on an existing tabletop game. Everything has been created from scratch by Unknown Worlds - but it does have everything you’d expect of a miniatures game; a robust rule set for turn-based combat, simple tactical choices that build into deep strategies, and a collection of very cool miniatures split into colourful different factions. Its sci-fi universe even has lore created by beloved author Brandon Sanderson, which is delivered via audiobooks. Effectively, it’s the entire Games Workshop hobby on your PC, just without the Space Marines.

At Gamescom 2022 I was able to play Moonbreaker for an hour, which was enough to get through its quick tutorial and one match of its fast-paced versus mode. I love what I saw, but I’m also surprised by the fact that, rather than playing akin to real-life miniatures games such as Warhammer or Infinity, Moonbreaker is actually closer in design to card games like Hearthstone.