Summer anime season is upon us. Is there anything worth watching?

No, seriously. That's a real question.

The winter anime season gave us Demon Slayer, Attack on Titan, Ranking of Kings, My Dress Up Darling, Akebi's Sailor Uniform, Kotaro Lives Alone, and a bunch of others.

The spring anime season gave us Spy X Family, Rising of the Shield Hero, Spriggan, Kaguya-sama Love is War, Komi Can't Communicate, Aharen-san is Indecipherable, Ya Boy Kongming, Summertime Render, and a bunch of others.

This summer is looking like slim pickings from my perspective. We're getting...

More The Devil is a Part-Timer...

More Classroom of the Elite...

More Made in Abyss...

More RBWY...

And a reboot of Tokyo Mew Mew...

The only anime that at all interests me this summer is Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer...

I'm quite the fan of the manga it's based on. It's a fun monster of the week style action comedy. A basic run down of the premise is random dude gets pulled into a the role of a hero. He must now team up with a princess to stop a villain from destroying Earth. Problem being that the princess only wants to stop the villain because she has her own plans for destroying the Earth. Nothing like a race to see who gets to murder all of humanity first.

There's also The Girl From the Other Side...

I've never read this manga and I'd be straight lying if I didn't admit that 80% of my interest is based on the artwork alone.

What am I missing?

I mean, at least August will bring a couple of cool movies with One Piece: Red...

...and Dragon Ball Super: SUPER HERO...

Am I missing anything? Is this summer for me really going to come down to an adaptation of a rather obscure manga that ended twelve years ago and an adaptation of another even more obscure manga that ended last year?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Series have already begun to air. Anyone actually watching something? Or maybe instead skipping the entire season and catching up with some spring anime you missed the first time around? I caught the first episode of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer over the weekend.

It is...ehhhhhhh. I really enjoyed the original manga, but the comedic timing feels really off in the anime. The jokes are tweaked from the manga, and really fell flat for me. The series director doesn't have much in the way of comedy on his resume, so that might be the issue. As the series goes along, maybe we'll get some great action, but the manga is very firmly in the action Comedy genre with a capital C on the comedy.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately I don't keep up with anime like I used to when I was in high school/college. Once the moe wave hit for years after 2008 I checked out, mostly just keeping up with it on the internet but watching few actual new shows. I've come back into the fold since the moe wave died down around 2015 I want to say, but it's mostly been watching older things I missed, older things I'm rewatching, or reboots of those old things (Ghost in the Shell, Spriggan, Berserk, Trigun, etc.). I do try to watch new shows but I always feel like I'm behind. I'm currently on the newest season of Baki/Baki Hanma (season 4), another season will drop on Netflix later this year, so that's something I'm current on at least. I do watch Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia and am up to date on those, I watch the dubs for those (and most anime except One Piece).

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Unfortunately I don't keep up with anime like I used to when I was in high school/college. Once the moe wave hit for years after 2008 I checked out, mostly just keeping up with it on the internet but watching few actual new shows. I've come back into the fold since the moe wave died down around 2015 I want to say, but it's mostly been watching older things I missed, older things I'm rewatching, or reboots of those old things (Ghost in the Shell, Spriggan, Berserk, Trigun, etc.). I do try to watch new shows but I always feel like I'm behind. I'm currently on the newest season of Baki/Baki Hanma (season 4), another season will drop on Netflix later this year, so that's something I'm current on at least. I do watch Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia and am up to date on those, I watch the dubs for those (and most anime except One Piece).

I'm somewhat in the same boat. The biggest difference being most of my keeping up with anime was left to just whatever caught my eye the once a year I swung by Anime Boston. Then Anime Boston went out the window once my kids were destructive enough nobody was up for babysitting them for that many hours, that many days in a row.

COVID actually changed that. Working from home saved me a bunch of hours a day and once I got over baking bread several times a week, I had extra time again for games and anime. That's especially true now that my kids are totally up for some anime. It all just requires some scheduling around the kids. I guess there being no good anime this summer means I have extra time to play Xenoblade Chronicles 3. That game should keep the kids glued to the TV, right next to me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone around here watched any Lycoris Recoil? This one did not make it on my radar, mostly because it was an original anime with no manga backing it up. Those can be hit or miss. Also, the subject matter seems well worn territory. Highschool girls that are secretly super assassins? Yeah, that's a unique setup right there.

So the big question is...how much do we trust Hideo Kojima on anime recommendations?

Hideo-Kojima-Praises-Lycoris-Recoil-Anim
WWW.DUALSHOCKERS.COM

Hideo Kojima praised Lycoris Recoil, the newest girls with guns anime featuring Chisato and Takina, two secret agents with a license to kill

I, uhh...if the anime is more than just queer-bait that'll be something. There really isn't much anime with gay representation out there. Last big one is, what? Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid?

• Thanks 1

@Greatoneshere

Hey now, Lycoris Recoil is actually good. It doesn't have an original bone in its body, but that doesn't really matter if the execution is there. I was also pleasantly surprised by the complete lack of fan service. This was a worry of mine looking at an anime about a bunch of back flipping highschool assassin's by a guy whose last series was a fan service heavy action series with a bunch of backflipping highschool girls, but nope. The recommendation from Hideo Kojima certainly didn't help. No matter, the series is clean. Whole episode dedicated to the virtues of panties versus boxers and still clean. It's just good, old fashion gun slinging anime with a Joker-esque villain and a good helping of government cover-ups/conspiracies. I don't know who this series is actually targeting. A shounen would usually have some fans service. That and all the men are villains here. The heroes putting themselves on the line are all women. I feel a shoujo would also be a little thicker on the romance. There something not entirely platonic between the female leads, but it's not exactly romantic at this point either.

No matter, I'm a fan. There are five episodes in Crunchyroll, no English dub in sight. That'll likely change given how popular the series is becoming.

Finally, an anime for the summer season I'm actually enjoying.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

@Greatoneshere

Hey now, Lycoris Recoil is actually good. It doesn't have an original bone in its body, but that doesn't really matter if the execution is there. I was also pleasantly surprised by the complete lack of fan service. This was a worry of mine looking at an anime about a bunch of back flipping highschool assassin's Creed but a guy whose last series was a fan service heavy action series with a bunch of backflipping highschool girls, but nope. The recommendation from Hideo Kojima certainly didn't help. No matter, the series is clean. Whole episode dedicated to the virtues of panties versus boxers and still clean. It's just good, old fashion gun slinging anime with a Joker-esque villain and a good helping of government cover-ups/conspiracies. I don't know who this series is actually targeting. A shounen would usually have some fans service. That and all the men are villains here. The heroes putting themselves on the line are all women. I feel a shoujo would also be a little thicker on the romaine. There something not entirely platonic between the female leads, but it's not exactly romantic at this point either.

No matter, I'm a fan. There are five episodes in Crunchyroll, no English dub in sight. That'll likely change given how popular the series is becoming.

Finally, an anime for the summer season I'm actually enjoying.

Sounds intriguing! I usually watch dubs, and I have an enormous backlog, but this sounds solid.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 5:12 PM, Greatoneshere said:

Sounds intriguing! I usually watch dubs, and I have an enormous backlog, but this sounds solid.

English dub and it's two episodes in. I actually haven't seen any of it, so no comment on the quality of the dub.

That said...

I'm bumping this to give Lycoris Recoil a huge shout out. A high school girl action series with legit gay representation? I'm not taking about the lead girls, either. I'm talking grown ass men and not pretty boys or characters that are sticking with the often times very negative caricatures you see of gay characters in anime (I'm looking at you Puri Puri Prisoner). Nah, these are like actual normal people with complex backgrounds and emotions. It's not even a big deal. They just exist. I'm shocked.

Also, this series continues to be great. The jump between cute girls with guns and the world sucks we're all going to die is great. You never really feel fully comfortable with things even when everyone in even is smiling and seemingly happy.

• Like 1