The Epic Games Store lost $181 million in 2019 and $273 million in 2020 according to new court filings

Commissar SFLUFAN

I couldn't quickly find any trustworthy estimates for Steam's total revenue, but I imagine it's a big enough number that spending a few hundred mil a year would be worthwhile if you could capture a good chunk of it. Especially if you happen to have a cash cow product and a ton of foreign investment.

24 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I couldn't quickly find any trustworthy estimates for Steam's total revenue, but I imagine it's a big enough number that spending a few hundred mil a year would be worthwhile if you could capture a good chunk of it. Especially if you happen to have a cash cow product and a ton of foreign investment.

Best numbers I can find say the market for PC games should do like $45.5b this year and Steam has an 89% market share. Obviously, Steam isn't a simple 30% of 89% of that $45.5b. Some of the biggest game franchises on Earth aren't on Steam. I thinking of Minecraft, Fortnite, and Roblox. Still, if even half that number is dollars generated on Steam, you're looking at more than $10b in revenue for hosting an online market.

Losing $330m on free games and exclusives seems like an easy call to make. Epic made $435m on PC last year, so there seems to be a ton of people with the EGS installed. I think the last count I saw said Fortnite alone had some 60m active players on PC. Epic is absolutely making the right call here even if it pisses off a bunch of gamers that wasn't to play everything within Steam. Hell, fronting the money to help offset the costs of porting console exclusives is the way I'd do it if I were them.

On 4/10/2021 at 11:33 PM, Xbob42 said:

That seems weird... is there a clause where if x amount of time has passed they no longer have to pay? Like if I install it in 4 years, for example. 

Looks like previous reports and speculation I had read online was totally wrong...

Looks like Epic just negotiates a flat amount for all games with each developer and pays that up front, regardless of how many downloads or games are claimed.

Yeah, I can't see that as being a rather lucrative offer for publishers and developers. That's especially true of games with lagging sales. Take a few million cash, right now, in exchange for a weeklong window where anyone can claim it for free. I wonder how that compares to Humble Bundles where folks can choose their own price.