Advice on ultrabooks

Rev

What do you guys think is the best for about $1200 max? I've looked around a bit and have mostly decided on the HP Spectre 13t 360, but it sacrifices a fair amount of performance at that price point so I'm not sure. What would you all recommend?

10 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

What do you plan to do with it Rev? I ask, because I would honestly hold out for a low end 3xxx series ultra light coming shortly. Even the lowest end model will benefit greatly because of DLSS. 

The most gaming I plan to do on it will be mobile simulation with Bluestacks which won't benefit too much from a 3xxx. Mostly watching media, writing code, website design, social media, web surfing. The ultrabook I'm looking at now is: unknown.png

edit: Also, I think an nvidia card would push it way over my price range since the ones with dedicated cards now are all like 1800+.

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

The most gaming I plan to do on it will be mobile simulation with Bluestacks which won't benefit too much from a 3xxx. Mostly watching media, writing code, website design, social media, web surfing. The ultrabook I'm looking at now is: unknown.png

edit: Also, I think an nvidia card would push it way over my price range since the ones with dedicated cards now are all like 1800+.

Maybe you'd be better served with a Chromebook? Chrome OS can run Android apps and that should include games, and you can run Linux on a lot of Chromebooks (for programming)--and you may be able to get programming done without having to dual boot at all. Example:

vs-code-chromebook-install8.jpg
WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

Coding on a Chromebook isn't some pipe dream or incredibly frustrating process filled with workarounds. Thanks to the magic of Linux you can install Microsoft's Visual Studio Code on your Chromebook with ease and get coding in minutes. Here's how.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

For my money, the Dell XPS13 is the better build, though the specs are not dramatically different, the quality of the build is. I've owned two and been VERY happy with both.

WWW.AMAZON.COM

This is actually the main one I was comparing with the one I linked. I looked at a few reviews that slightly favored the Spectre in terms of build design and quality. I like the fact that the power input is in the corner of the device too but the processor seems pretty weak on both along with the 8gb of ram. I wonder if I'll notice it a lot when I have multiple tabs open or whatever.

15 minutes ago, Rev said:

This is actually the main one I was comparing with the one I linked. I looked at a few reviews that slightly favored the Spectre in terms of build design and quality. I like the fact that the power input is in the corner of the device too but the processor seems pretty weak on both along with the 8gb of ram. I wonder if I'll notice it a lot when I have multiple tabs open or whatever.

12 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I never really had a problem with multiple tabs open honestly. The XPS is a zippy little unit.

There's a certified refurb from Dell for $905, 512 GB SSD and 16 GB of RAM.

7 minutes ago, Rev said:

I feel like I've heard nothing but stories from people who've had major issues with refurbished items. Are they actually dependable?

On the contrary, I've always heard that manufacturer refurbs tend to be more reliable than brand new items, because whatever was wrong with the unit has already had a chance to present itself and get fixed. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The only issue I would be concerned about on a refurbished unit would be not knowing about how many read/writes have already been logged on the SSD. It’s likely to be just fine though.

Is the SSD on these user-replaceable? As long as he's backing up his important files and it's replaceable it still puts him at right around $1k if he has to replace the SSD. 

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

Do you get the same manufacturer's warranty with a refurbished item? Maybe I'll get a refurbished Spectre.

It says on the listing there's a 1 year hardware warranty. And I'm pretty sure credit card extended warranty applies to manufacturer refurb warranties. 

2 minutes ago, Rev said:

Is "renewed" the same thing as refurbished?

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

What the fuck is renewed? :lol:

I can't imagine there's a difference beyond what they're choosing to call it. Probably just a marketing thing to avoid people having a bad reaction to hearing "refurbished". And where are you seeing "renewed"? It says "Certified Refurbished" on the listed.