Canada's Health Minister approves magic mushrooms to treat end-of-life anxiety and distress

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/magic-mushrooms-therapy-1.5675637

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/08/06/canada-approves-psilocybin-for-compassionate-use-in-four-patients.html

Four Canadian cancer patients have been granted permission to use psilocybin as a treatment for end-of-life distress, a groundbreaking role for the hallucinogen in health care.

Federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu approved the use through the Office of Controlled Substances. The application was submitted more than 100 days ago.

Spencer Hawkswell, executive director of Therapsil, said the non-profit organization decided to go through the minister after a more general application to Health Canada submitted in 2017 was rejected two years later.

“Obviously, bureaucracy is not a human being,” Hawkswell told The Telegram. “People have compassion. Bureaucracies don’t always have compassion.”

These four were given temporary permission to use it, but it's expected to be widely-approved in the near-future for all terminal patients that wish to use it to help manage quality-of-life/mental health.

When Brooks's therapist mentioned the research on psilocybin, she says she was on board almost immediately. She decided to try it in a guided session conducted under her therapist's supervision.

"I did my psilocybin trip last October and immediately afterwards I was able to see my cancer in a box beside me on the floor instead of this black cloud hanging over me all the time," Brooks said.

She cautions that it took a lot of preparation to be ready for the experience, and it wasn't all pleasant. The six-hour trip began with huge waves of grief, and she was forced to confront a flood of bad emotions before finding some clarity.

But to Brooks's surprise, she says her cancer has stayed in that metaphorical box through the last 10 months of treatment. In fact, that one psychedelic trip made such a difference that she's not sure whether it's even necessary to take psilocybin again.