I watched Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049. Spoilers.

Bacon

I did not like the first Blade Runner movie very much. I actually laughed out loud when I saw the year it takes place in, not that 2049 having that tech is any more realistic. This was my first time watching either movie and I had nothing about either movie ever spoiled to me. The acting of all the characters in the first move felt off to me. Rachael was the only one that actually seemed human through the entire film. Deckard seemed to act odd at times, or at least I thought so. He almost always had this expression of fear or reluctance mixed with "omg I can't believe what is happening right now". For the replicants, for people that were supposed to be as smart and talented as the people that made them, they all seemed like fucking crazy people, outside of Rachael. It was hard to care about them at all, or their plight. Roy finally seemed a bit human at the very end, but that was about it. 

While I loved a lot of the practical visuals, the movie is disgustingly dated. Every monitor and screen is a CRT and there is even a giant Atari neon sign. It is really hard to take the movie seriously sometimes with how wrong they got the future. It just really sticks out. I tried my best to get past it, but the movie really like to show its age. The Face Time pay phone also got a laugh from me. I get that you can look at it as an alternate earth or whatever, but they still wouldn't be using 80s tech in 2019 like that. Just can't get past it. I am sure if I saw this movie years ago I wouldn't have this issue, like how I have no issue with Back to the Future, but I saw that movie before I was even in school so, yeah... 

I also don't like the question the movie proposes, "Is Deckard a replicant?" I feel the movie, or at least the version I saw, supports Deckard being a replicant more than being a human. But I really dislike that. Deckard being a human is what works best in my mind, and I much prefer him being a human after seeing 2049. If Deckard wasn't a human then I would have preferred them to show it in a more superhuman way, not the stupid unicorn dream shit. Or at least an actual memory, not a dream. Deckard physically shows no traits of being a replicant and I am basically latching on to that. 

Now, I really liked 2049. Like, really, really liked it. One of the best movies I have seen in a while that isn't just another Disney owned flick. K was just a great character. I thought he was handled perfectly. I usually hate when a movie makes a character do nothing but despair, but damn it was great. I mean, this man-made man has nothing going for him. His lover is a hologram and he isn't much more real than her. Then he finds out that he was actually born. Half human or all replicant, he isn't your average Joe replicant anymore. He wasn't made he was born. He is a fuckin real boy now. Things kinda start looking up in a weird way. Gets a name, kinda gets to fuck his waifu, and he goes to find his dad. And then he gets shat on the rest of the movie. His dad tried to kill him, his waifu dies, he finds out he isn't actually a real boy, the name his waifu gave him isn't even special, and then he fucking dies. I should hate all of that but I don't. His suffering is basically what makes me see him as a human. Idk, man, it was just great. Like, I can kinda relate so that is probably why I like the movie so much. Meh, it is easier to explain why I dislike something than why I like it. 

What I don't really get tho is what actually makes the replicants different from humans(I am ignoring how bizarre the "evil" replicants acted in the first movie). Like, they seem to just be lab made humans. Unlike Detroit: Become Human, the seem to be made of meat and shit. Never saw any robotic parts. Like, what is the actual difference between lab grown meat and a lab grown human? That meat is still meat, right? It is really hard to see the difference, seeing as they aren't mechanical. Especially when it comes to a creation like Rachael. She functions exactly like a human all the way down to even being able to have children. And this is why I much prefer the idea of Deckard being a human. If he isn't a human then that only means that replicants can give birth to replicants. There is still a clear dividing line between human and replicant. If he is human, then that line has been crossed. There is nothing really dividing the two as a species except for how they are born. Like, I can never view the characters in B-cum Human as actual people. To me they are just robots. It isn't like that with replicants. They just seem to be man-made humans. Well, man-made superhumans. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Which version of Blade Runner did you watch?

I think it was "the final cut". There was no narration. I would have preferred to watch the theatrical version.  Edit: Oh, Harrison Ford did the narration bad. Maybe not then.