GenCon 2019

Slug

It's that time again!  Time to make that trip to FABULOUS Indianapolis, IN for the best 4 days in gaming!  In just 2 weeks GenCon enters it's 52nd year and I'll be making my long annual drive out to America's heartland for an extra long weekend of M:tG, D&D, play-testing unreleased games, drinking, and discovering new games while draining my savings in the vendor hall!

Who's in?!  Who's going, what are your plans, what do you want to see?  Entering any tournaments?  Finally going to experience True Dungeon? 

If you aren't going, what are you hoping to see come out of the show?  Is there anything specific you want to get a look at (I'll try to find it and get some pics and info for ya).

• 3 weeks later...

Back from Indy!  Great week!

spacer.png

The D&D Room:

spacer.png

Bosk:

spacer.png

Tentacle monster..thing:

spacer.png

Lanterns:

spacer.png

Anyone need a Watchdog?

spacer.png

Star Trek:

spacer.png

Demon:

spacer.png

Construction progress on Cardhalla on Day 1:

spacer.png

This party is gonna be off the chizzo for rizzo:

spacer.png

WWI Planes versus alien tri-pods?  Sure!

spacer.png

I'm sure they're thinking up some very wholesome ideas in there...

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2019 at 10:24 AM, SFLUFAN said:

@Slug - what things you saw were worth paying attention to?

Era: Medieval Age was a pretty cool city builder.

Terror Below was a neat idea; it's a Tremors kind of theme, with giant worm monsters underground.  If you move across the board too fast they can feel the vibrations and come up to eat you.

Bargain Quest is super fun, and I actually bought it after a demo I was so impressed.  It's a standard fantasy knights and dragons kind of theme, but instead of the hero you play as a shop owner who is trying to entice adventurers into your store to purchase weapons and armors and such.  You make money and earn points both by selling equipment to the adventurers and how well they do on their quests using what you sold them.  Send them out with sub-par gear and they may get killed and there goes your chance at repeat business.  But maybe there's a particular adventurer that doesn't really have much money so you don't want them to come back... :devil:

Cyberpunk 2077 had a presence, but I didn't get to play.  It's an Eric Lang designed game though, and he has a good track record so it's probably worth a look.

I love abstract strategy games and Bosk nails it.  This is a game where each player represents a type of tree.  The game takes place over the course of one year in a national park, with players scoring for both how well they plan their tree growth in the forest as well as how much ground their trees cover when autumn arrives and the leaves fall.  It's an abstract strategy game that changes from spot placement to territory control mid-game and it pulls it off very well.

I saw and played a lot more but these are the ones that immediately stand out in my  mind.

• Thanks 2