Y'all should be watching Dropout (formerly College Humor)...

I don't think my favorite streaming service is getting enough love around here.

I mean, their live play D&D series, Dimension 20, just sold out Madison Square Garden...

VARIETY.COM

The finale of the latest season of indie streamer Dropout's highly popular "Dungeons & Dragons"-playing series "Dimension 20" drops Wednesday

...and two of their series are hot choices for Emmy nominations this year...

VARIETY.COM

Dropout revealed its Emmys plans, including "Game Changer" and "Very Important People," while "Dimension 20" is not eligible in any category.

I don't know if there's any TV right now that I find as genuinely and consistently funny as the stuff they pump out every week. They've got a bunch of full length episodes available on YouTube. Absolutely worth checking out. I swear, @TheLeon and I can't be the only subscribers around here.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Brian said:

Animated GIF

never heard of them 

Comedy streaming service run by Sam Reich, Robert Reich's son, that took over College Humor when private equity ran the YouTube channel into the ground, tried to pivot to Facebook Video, and then bankrupt it. Their cornerstone series are...

...the gameshow Game Changer...

...a live play D&D series, Dimension 20...

...and a nerdy trivia gameshow, Um, Actually...

The vast majority of their programming is comedy and even the not necessarily comedy programming is at least comedy-adjacent. It's all so well done.

• Thanks 1

Watching the season finale of Fantasy High Junior Year right now. :daydream:

I love Dropout. Found it a little bit into the pandemic and it became a steady source of much-needed comfort watching. Couldn’t tell you how many fulls days I’ve spent just watching (and rewatching) Dimension 20 while playing card/puzzle games. Game Changer is also incredible, with the last couple seasons especially going all-out with some episodes in a simply impressive way. They have a bunch of other fun stuff too. I like their newest show that is basically just inviting funny people to do PowerPoint presentations.

But Dropout as a whole feels like such a weird, niche little thing, I don’t know how to just casually recommend another streaming service to people. It’s worth mentioning that if you don’t want to mess with another app, subscribing to their YouTube channel gets you everything as well (although naturally they don’t make as much money from that). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Watching the season finale of Fantasy High Junior Year right now. :daydream:

Literally what made me put this together. I say Dimension 20 is a D&D actual play, but it's really not comparable to the other big ones like like Critical Roll. Those feel like watching people play D&D when D20 feels like a table read for some unrealized TV series. There's just something about the production values, the editing, the story telling, and the acting that makes it feel like an entirely different beast. I wouldn't recommend Dungeons & Daddies to someone that isn't already a big tabletop nerd, but I totally would recommend someone go watch D20's Dungeons and Drag Queens.

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

But Dropout as a whole feels like such a weird, niche little thing, I don’t know how to just casually recommend another streaming service to people. It’s worth mentioning that if you don’t want to mess with another app, subscribing to their YouTube channel gets you everything as well (although naturally they don’t make as much money from that). 

This is the other reason why I made this. Folks around here have fairly good taste in TV and film and I feel like Dropout flies under the radar in spite of it being my most watched streaming service after YouTube. I mean, I'm behind in a bunch of other TV series, but still made the time to watch a 3 hour actual play that caused me to nearly die laughing over the dumbest fart joke in existence. I get it, though. It's the paid streaming service that came into being after the 10m subscriber College Humor YouTube channel had to fire everyone and was sold off to the new CEO for like a dollar.

I really do recommend the service for anyone that likes stand up and/or nerdy shit. Also, if you ever felt like you'd like Taskmaster more if episodes ended with the players looking like they want to kill themselves and the host, but aren't sure on the order, Gamer Changer might be for you.

• 2 weeks later...

@TheLeon

Production values on D20 is getting to the point where this almost doesn't even feel like an actual play anymore.

New season is slated for ten episodes, again using a modified Kids on Bikes system like Mentopolis.

• Hype 1