AMG Announces Grand Tournaments -- Ends "Worlds"

This is probably for the best, though I appreciate that it’s disappointing to people who could hang at a very high level. When I was playing Imperial Assault or Destiny competitively, I saw many more people discouraged by tournaments on the road to worlds than I did people who found even the regional level of competition to be an enjoyable experience. As someone who was in between I always found the experience somewhat odd; I would rinse anyone who played more casually and then get rinsed by people who played obvious net forces / decks. I’ll also never forget someone who drove from central NJ to northeast MA to play at an Imperial Assault regional event for a chance to get swag dice who got absolutely ripshit with my improbable X results on my white die and favorable draws from my command card deck because losing to me meant he drove the better part of 500 round trip miles to not get dice.

Also I don’t think I’m a casual follower of AMG stuff and somehow the only reason I knew Worlds were at Adepticon was from posts here, so… probably best for them to invest that money elsewhere :p

Tournament Play is somewhat different than casual play.

Organized Play -- everything from store championships all the way up to worlds is a way of getting people to play.  Having active communities in a LGS is a great way of bringing in new players.

I recognize that many of the people who are into MCP/Legion/Shatterpoint are in in more for the painting, than the actual playing.

That's not the case for X-Wing, and probably not for Armada.

I don't think AMG should be paying for tickets and hotels, but I do think they need to hold a "World Championship".

If they don't, I think the community will do one -- and it will likely be online.

45 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Tournament Play is somewhat different than casual play.

Organized Play -- everything from store championships all the way up to worlds is a way of getting people to play.  Having active communities in a LGS is a great way of bringing in new players.

I recognize that many of the people who are into MCP/Legion/Shatterpoint are in in more for the painting, than the actual playing.

That's not the case for X-Wing, and probably not for Armada.

I don't think AMG should be paying for tickets and hotels, but I do think they need to hold a "World Championship".

If they don't, I think the community will do one -- and it will likely be online.

The community doing one online is probably for the best anyway. Not paying for hotels and travel means a "World" championship is basically selecting from people who have enough money to make it to the US / a certain spot in the US, so you're already eliminating a huge group of players who can hang but can't afford that. When I was playing in Regional Imperial Assault or Destiny tournaments, 100% of the time the winner give their ticket to someone several people down the results board before they found someone who could afford to go to Nationals, and I know this happened at Nationals too, particularly at events outside the US.

That's not to say the people who did make it to Worlds were scrubs or anything just that it wasn't representative of the actual best players from Regionals or Nationals.