Fanatec Announces Clubsport Direct Drive

AbsolutSurgen

Man, racing wheel tech sure has gotten better since last I got into using a racing wheel. I had a belt driven Fanatec Porsche 911 club sport wheel that worked on the Xbox 360 back in the day. It’s how I played FM3 and FM4. That was a big step up from the gear driven official Xbox 360 wheel by MS. 

expensive though. That club sport direct drive motor costs more than my entire Fanatec club sport wheel, peddle, and shifter set combined. 

50 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Man, racing wheel tech sure has gotten better since last I got into using a racing wheel. I had a belt driven Fanatec Porsche 911 club sport wheel that worked on the Xbox 360 back in the day. It’s how I played FM3 and FM4. That was a big step up from the gear driven official Xbox 360 wheel by MS. 

expensive though. That club sport direct drive motor costs more than my entire Fanatec club sport wheel, peddle, and shifter set combined. 

Sim Racing has exploded, and there are tons of options at the very high end -- $6,000 haptic systems, pedals that are $2,000 for each pedal, etc.

You can get an entry level DD system from Fanatec (5NM DD base, pedals with a load cell brake, and the McLaren F1 wheel) for $600 -- add $100 to go to 8nm.  Its also miles better than any belt/gear driven system.

• Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

they’re watching. lol 

yeah, I then need to get something to mount it on. Back in the day I was using a Tv tray and sitting on the couch. Not really good for today’s wheel setups. lol 

You can get something like this for $250.

I've been going down the simracing rabbit hole for the last 2 weeks -- the cost of the setup I would like has gone WAY down in price over the last 2 years, but still not convinced I would get enough use out of it.

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You can get something like this for $250.

I've been going down the simracing rabbit hole for the last 2 weeks -- the cost of the setup I would like has gone WAY down in price over the last 2 years, but still not convinced I would get enough use out of it.

the one thing I like seeing is how modular everything is. For better a worse. So you can upgrade bits over time far more easily. 

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

the one thing I like seeing is how modular everything is. For better a worse. So you can upgrade bits over time far more easily. 

The aluminum extrusion rigs are the best for that (more money than this).

At the moment, I am half convinced that a $3,500 setup makes sense ($1,500 for the cockpit/seat, $1,500 for the Fanatec setup, $500 for a buttkicker).  I'm delaying until my common sense kicks in again.

I mainly mean even the wheel and peddles are more modular than when I was last into that kind of thing. He motor and wheel are no longer one piece. In some cases it’s up to 3. So if a new when comes out you really want, you don’t necessarily need to upgrade everything. 

in the past if you didn’t get peddles with a clutch the only way to add a clutch was to buy an entirely new set of peddles. 

And yeah, I’m so casual about it, I wouldn’t even play iRacing or any other MP focused sim game. I’d primarily be using a wheel for single player, career mode racing. And I don’t think I’d play enough to justify the expense of going from controller to wheel setup. 

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I mainly mean even the wheel and peddles are more modular than when I was last into that kind of thing. He motor and wheel are no longer one piece. In some cases it’s up to 3. So if a new when comes out you really want, you don’t necessarily need to upgrade everything. 

in the past if you didn’t get peddles with a clutch the only way to add a clutch was to buy an entirely new set of peddles. 

Mm it yeah, I’m so casual about it, I wouldn’t even play iRacing or any other MP focused sim game. I’d primarily be using a wheel for single player, career mode racing. And I don’t think I’d play enough to justify the expense of going from controller to wheel setup. 

On PC right now, you can even combine pedals, bases, wheels and shifters all from different manufacturers.  People are using SimHub to manage all of that.

The Thrustmaster and Logitech ecosystems seem to be mostly locked down.  But Fanatec, Moza, Simucube, Simagic, etc. seem to be more open.  I'm not an expert - just gone down a rabbit hole these last few weeks.

The explosion of different SimRacing brands (and the end of the pandemic) are starting to really lower the price of getting into the hobby too.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Yeah Moza really caught my eye. Spec for price they look on par with Fanatec. I don’t know if anyone out there has yet to make Fanatec feel threatened to their premier status. 

I don't think Fanatec sells as much as Logitech/Thrustmaster.  And I don't think they are viewed as highly as Simucube by the enthusiasts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this has been a pretty interesting rabbit hole to fall down over the past couple of weeks. Im leaving Fanatec because of the variety of upgrade paths over something like Moza. Fanatec also seems to be a bit more widely supported at the moment by developers and a long time fan base. 

So I’m thinking I might get the McLaren GT3 5Nm bundle. At this point I think I’m gonna wait to see what Black Friday deals Fanatec offers. I read it’s been upwards of 30% off some items in past years. With QR2 being out by then I could see them wanting to clear out their QR1 stock of wheels and bases. 

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Well this has been a pretty interesting rabbit hole to fall down over the past couple of weeks. Im leaving Fanatec because of the variety of upgrade paths over something like Moza. Fanatec also seems to be a bit more widely supported at the moment by developers and a long time fan base. 

So I’m thinking I might get the McLaren GT3 5Nm bundle. At this point I think I’m gonna wait to see what Black Friday deals Fanatec offers. I read it’s been upwards of 30% off some items in past years. With QR2 being out by then I could see them wanting to clear out their QR1 stock of wheels and bases. 

Have you considered a load cell brake?  [The bundle is not actually cheaper than adding the same parts to your cart.]

32 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Have you considered a load cell brake?  [The bundle is not actually cheaper than adding the same parts to your cart.]

yeah that’s because they now will discount the CSL DD to $199 with any wheel and peddle combo. I’ve thought about it, but may do it as an upgrade later, unless there’s a nice Black Friday discount. It’s kind of why I’m waiting for Black Friday. 

23 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

yeah that’s because they now will discount the CSL DD to $199 with any wheel and peddle combo. I’ve thought about it, but may do it as an upgrade later, unless there’s a nice Black Friday discount. It’s kind of why I’m waiting for Black Friday. 

It's $20 cheaper if you buy it with the rest of your stuff, but hoping there is a big Black Friday sale.

22 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Yeah and it looks like they apply a discount to the CSL DD + 8Nm to make it $300 with any peddle and wheel combo too. Which actually will make a cheaper combo than the F1 Esports premium Bundle if you do it yourself by like $40. 

When I added the Esports premium bundle to my cart, it priced out at $709 -- $10 cheaper than everything separately.