EVE Online Viridian expansion trailer

Remarkableriots

eveonline-blogroll-1690496570717.jpg?wid
WWW.IGN.COM

In its 20th year, no other MMORPG exists like EVE Online, which has built a social universe unlike anything seen in any other online game.

That may sound like an almost arrogant thing to say, but from where I'm standing, as someone who has played dozens of MMOs for what must be tens of thousands of hours since the early 2000s, I think he's absolutely right. They have earned the right to say it, as EVE Online more or less stands alone in its trailblazing vision of a vast universe built on human interactions, not pre-built content. And its longevity certainly speaks to that, thriving when so many "WoW killers" have come and gone and are scarcely remembered today. It's also the direction I think this genre needs to go if it's ever going to escape that evolutionary dead-end and realize its full potential.

And we can already see some of EVE's ambitions being emulated today.

When I first heard Bethesda drop the bombshell about 1000 explorable planets in Starfield, I immediately thought back to how EVE has had over 7000 full star systems for some time now. Games like Elite: Dangerous and No Man's Sky have likewise tried to sell us on the idea of a galaxy too massive to ever be fully explored by any one player. They may focus on different things or lack certain pieces of the EVE puzzle, but it's clear that they are following in its footsteps to some extent.

• 3 months later...
WWW.MMORPG.COM

Betrayals and EVE Online are almost synonymous with each other twenty years into the MMO's operation, but a heist pulled off at the expense of one of the MMO's most powerful alliances...

"He recently came back to EVE and I gave him director roles because I trust him," Asher wrote in an official response to the heist. "I would say he's the person I trust the most in EVE."

However, it seems that trust, for whatever reason, was misplaced.

So What Happened?

Yesterday, in a post on the EVE Online subreddit, a screenshot from user Garr_Dexx showed Jay removing the jump clone service from a Goonswarm structure, which would effectively kill all the jump clones positioned there. Jump clones are a way to effectively fast travel in EVE Online, and the jump clones in a nullsec station, such as the Imperial Palace where the heist took place, could be used to mobilize Goonswarm's fleets at a moment's notice.

As a result, 52,670 jump clones were slated for destruction, which is by any metric a huge loss. This could devastate Goonswarm and create an opening for their historic adversary, PanFam, to move in with minimal pushback.

While the destruction of the Jump Clones is a big hit, it wasn't the only thing Jay did before peacing out. Not only did Jay initiate the destruction of the clones, but he also stole assets from Goonswarm, including money from various wallets in the Goonswarm ISK hoard, some Capital ships, and more. Asher also confirms that some blueprint originals - which are not cheap - were stolen but didn't specify in his post which ones. 

While the material heist hurts, it can be replaced by Goonswarm's incredibly numerous and wealthy player base. However, the destruction of the clones would hurt incredibly if they were all destroyed, especially if this action is the precursor to an attack.

However, Goonswarm was saved by the unlikeliest hero imaginable: server downtime.