Brazilian court officially prohibits COVID Variant Incubator from running for public office for eight years

PYPFONMOPZPUHWLMIX2TFBF3SI_size-normaliz
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

A majority on the panel found the former president's false claims about voting fraud led thousands of supporters to storm Brasilia Jan. 8 in hopes of overturning his election loss.

Brazil's top elections court voted Friday to bar Jair Bolsonaro from running for office for eight years — a period that covers the next presidential election — for making what members of the panel said were claims he knew to be false about the integrity of the country's voting systems.

As president, the "Trump of the Tropics" repeatedly asserted without evidence that the voting systems in Latin America's largest country were vulnerable to fraud. With the vote of Judge Cármen Lúcia Friday afternoon, the seven-member Superior Electoral Court reached a majority to convict the right-wing populist of abuse of power for undermining faith in the country's young democracy.

The ruling, if it survives a planned Supreme Court appeal, means Bolsonaro, 68, won't be able to run for president until the 2030 election, when he'll be 75. It's the first time in the court's 90-year history that it has applied the ban to a former president.

Bolsonaro, aides and allies anticipated the result.

"It's unfair to me, for God's sake," he told reporters on Thursday. "Show me something concrete that I did against democracy. I played within the bounds of the Constitution the whole time."

• Hype 1