Roger Stone to DeSantis: You better swear not to run in 2024 or else I'll run against your punk ass in 2022

snapshot-1.jpg?w=1280
MIAMI.CBSLOCAL.COM

Stone told CBS4's Jim DeFede he would run as a Libertarian or some other third-party candidate to siphon votes away from DeSantis and cost him reelection.

“Look, I have no illusions about my ability to become elected governor of Florida. That’s not the point here. I believe that Gov. DeSantis, assuming he’s going to run for reelection, should pledge to the people of Florida that he will fill out all four years of a second term,” said Stone. “What I don’t want to see is for him to be reelected and then immediately abandon Florida to run off and run for president, particularly if he’s running against Donald Trump.”

But what if Trump doesn’t run for president in 2024? Stone maintained that the governor should still finish out his second term if reelected.

“I think it would be disingenuous to run for reelection if you don’t didn’t intend to fulfill the job. I just don’t think Florida should be a steppingstone to the presidency for any person. I’d like to know that he is going to stay here and do the job,” Stone said.

“Well, the people who love Ron DeSantis the most are, of course, the people who have never met him. It would be nice to be said thank you to some of his donors or if he’d actually meet with the voters. He seems to be allergic to people. But perhaps that’s just a different campaign style,” Stone said. “I don’t think that I would have to get many votes to change the results of this race.”