Tennessee flooding

56a0e2b5-759d-47c6-85cb-5007457693eb-Wav
WWW.USATODAY.COM

Extreme flooding in Tennessee on Saturday killed at least 21 people and left dozens missing. The city of Waverly and Humphreys County were hit hardest.

Saturday's record-shattering rainfall unleashed floods that left at least 21 dead, Humphreys County Emergency Management Agency spokesperson Grey Collier said. 

State and federal crews began damage assessment on the ground Monday, but debris removal will not begin anytime soon, Collier said. 

Gov. Bill Lee officially requested a formal expedited major disaster declaration via FEMA for the four counties impacted by Saturday’s catastrophic flooding — Dickson, Hickman, Houston, and Humphreys —from President Joe Biden's administration

This occurred near me. I've driven through Waverly many times and I'm really surprised that it got as bad as it did. 

But the surprising thing was that it got so bad so fast. I've never seen it rain that hard for that long ever before--harder even than in the Nashville Flood of 2010. Waverly (and that entire watershed) saw 17 inches of rain in 24 hours. That's like... off the charts. And the land around there is all hollows and hills. It's truly tragic and one of the worst flooding disasters in this state's history.