'Mission: Impossible' Tops 'Christopher Robin' for Weekend #1; 'Black Panther' Reaches $700M Domestic

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4423&p=.htm

With an estimated $35 million, Mission: Impossible - Fallout finished atop the weekend box office for a second weekend in a row as the film's domestic cume now stands just shy of $125 million after ten days in release. The film's 42.8% second weekend drop is the second best sophomore effort in the franchise behind Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, which isn't quite an apples-to-apples comparison considering it kicked things off with a limited debut over the holiday season in 2011.

Disney and Marvel's Black Panther joins Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($936.6m) and Avatar($760.5m) as the third film to ever top $700 million at the domestic box office. The film did so as it entered its 25th weekend in release. Black Panther is the first 2018 release to remain in theaters that long as theatrical windows continue to shrink. In both 2017 and 2016 five films remained in theaters for 25 weeks or longer whereas in 2014 and 2013, 11 and 13 films reached that milestone or longer respectively.

Congrats to Black Panther! I'm glad it reached threshold and is among some incredibly rare company.

Fallout looks to be the highest grossing film in the franchise (before inflation). In a more relevant comparison, it should top 4 and 5 by a decent %.

Christopher Robin never looked like a big earner to me, and I hear it's tonally all over the place.

$700M for Black Panther is amazing. I think it'll always be one of those things that it Infinity War didn't quite get to $700M but Panther did, in the same year.