Crunchyroll announces first slate of original animated shows

Ghost_MH

I knew Crunchyroll was already toying with original animated series, but I didn't realize they were so far ahead with four of the series being animated by their own in-house studio.

• FreakAngels - Based on the comic series by Warren Ellis and Paul Duffield that follows twelve psychic 23-year-olds as they attempt to rebuild society in a post-apocalyptic London.
  • High Guardian Spice - A series by Raye Rodriguez about four girls who attend the High Guardian Academy in order to become heroes to fight an unknown threat to their world.
  • Meiji Gekken: Swords & Guns (working title) - Set in 1870, the story follows an ex-samurai, a yakuza bodyguard, a spy, and a geisha assassin as they adapt to the rapidly changing Japan of the Meiji era, when the country moved from a feudal to an industrial society.
  • Onyx Equinox - Created by Sofia Alexander, it follows a young Aztec boy who is saved from death by the gods in order to prove humanity’s potential.
  • In/Spectre - A supernatural mystery series set in modern Tokyo about a young woman chosen by spirits to help them resolve the issues that arise between the human and spirit worlds. It is currently airing now in Japan and on Crunchyroll.
  • Noblesse - A co-production with Webtoon and Production I.G, which provided the animation. The series is based on a comic series published by Webtoon about a vampire who wakes up to modern society after over 800 years.
  • The God of High School - A high school action series, also published by Webtoon, about a high schooler and his friends who get involved in a tournament where they use the power of gods to battle. The series is being animated by MAPPA.
  • Tower of God - Based on a fantasy action comic series about a boy battling his way up a mysterious tower. This is another co-production with Webtoon, but with animation from Telecom Animation Film (Lupin the Third: Part 5).

I don't have the time I'd like to watch as much anime as I had in previous years, but I still read a whole heaping of manga and manhwa. That said, I cannot recommend Noblesse and Tower of God enough. They're both based on comics available over on Webtoons and they're both brilliant.

• Thanks 1