Judge blasts Assange for jumping bail, sentences him to almost one year

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/05/julian-assange-gets-50-weeks-for-jumping-bail/

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has been sentenced to 50 weeks in prison for fleeing to the Ecuadorian embassy in London while on bail in 2012. At the time, he was facing possible extradition to Sweden on sexual assault charges.

"I found myself struggling with terrifying circumstances for which neither I nor those from whom I sought advice could work out any remedy," Assange wrote, according to the Guardian.

But the WikiLeaks founder got little sympathy from the judge, who said that Assange had chosen to remain in the embassy for seven years, making a mockery of the British justice system.

"You exploited your privileged position to flout the law and advertised internationally your disdain for the law of this country," the judge said.

Swedish authorities dropped the sexual assault charges against Assange in 2017 because they couldn't move it forward with Assange hiding in the embassy. Prosecutors could re-open the case now that he is in British custody.