Biden is making gun safety reform major component of 2024 campaign

230730130942-03-joe-biden-maine-072823.j
WWW.CNN.COM

President Joe Biden’s campaign is preparing to make gun safety a central issue of his reelection campaign, and that will start with the official approval soon and big rollout of a new executive action to massively expand background checks for gun purchases, multiple aides involved tell CNN.

Long sought by gun safety advocates, the executive action, which Biden set in motion in March, would expand the definition of which gun sellers are required to comply with federal licensing and background check requirements. It is seen by both proponents and opponents as the most that can be done toward establishing universal background checks without new legislation. While it may be approved soon, White House aides are already planning a larger event to officially announce it with the president going into the fall, with more campaign-related events centered on guns likely as well.

The interlocking government and political events heading into the fall – starting with Vice President Kamala Harris’s speech on Friday at the “Gun Sense University” hosted by the Everytown for Gun Safety group – reflect a continuing shift on gun control that Democrats and advocates say they have been tracking in their internal data. The issue, they say, is now mobilizing many voters and has become a litmus test for a growing number of them, including those in the “school shooting generation” of younger voters, or just the many Americans who have grown frustrated with news of frequent mass shootings and gun violence in the streets.

Bold emphasis is mine, as I've been frustrated since Virginia Tech and being told a different reason for each of the 75,083,102,493.0182 shootings as to why nothing could stop it.

Also:

2023-04-11T164609Z_516452128_RC2EC0AHRA6
WWW.PBS.ORG

The groups endorsing the president for reelection include: Brady Campaign, Team Enough, Community Justice Action Fund, Everytown for Gun Safety Action Fund, Moms Demand Action and Students Demand Action, and Giffords.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I like how politicians save this shit for reelection time like a publicly traded company releasing quarterly products even if they're good to go. Gotta hit those numbers, customers (or in this case, school children and other innocents) be damned!

I mean, not really? He actually got some bipartisan legislation on guns done in 2022 and recently signed executive orders sought by gun control groups, and we're not in an election year. It makes sense to gear up to tell voters that he's getting work done and can get more done staying in the White House and with bigger Democratic majorities.

Biden in particular is a weird one to complain about since he has a long history expanding gun safety laws.

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I mean, not really? He actually got some bipartisan legislation on guns done in 2022 and recently signed executive orders sought by gun control groups, and we're not in an election year. It makes sense to gear up to tell voters that he's getting work done and can get more done staying in the White House and with bigger Democratic majorities.

Biden in particular is a weird one to complain about since he has a long history expanding gun safety laws.

I get that we live in the abhorrent timeline where this babystep bullshit is considered progress, but holy shit, if anyone actually cared this would've been a top priority issue since day 1.

• Hype 1

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I get that we live in the abhorrent timeline where this babystep bullshit is considered progress, but holy shit, if anyone actually cared this would've been a top priority issue since day 1.

Again, I have a hard time thinking the president doesn't care since his history on guns has been impressive, whether it's working on the Brady Bill (to which background checks remain federal law), or his role after Sandy Hook to get things moving (which they did in the Senate), to signing the first gun bill in 30 years. If any of us were president, people would be saying we don't care even though we're not a dictator getting bills signed without a congress.

• Halal 1