War Tales: a mercenary RPG/management sim with "Joe Abercrombie vibes" from the developers of Northgard

Commissar SFLUFAN

wartales_preview1.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Wartales is a deliciously sober upcoming RPG/management game, about mercenaries just trying to get by in a run-down world.

You can always beat the wolves, right? They're usually the next rung up from rats; even at their very hardest, they're maybe the fourth distinct creature thing a trainee adventurer has to slash into giblets on their way to bigger and better things. These grey, hairy training wheels might do a bit of snarling, a few mild biteroonies, but they won't ever kill you. That's not what wolves do.

Wartales, the next game from Northgard devs Shiro Games and which lands in early access this week, didn't get the memo. Just twenty minutes into this sombre, map-wandering mercenary adventure, I ran into a crew of the old growly-howlies, and got killed to pieces. My second run, at least, left me with one survivor. But they were soon ruined financially by the burden of treating their wounds and repairing their mangled armour, and eventually met their end in a muddy ditch, at the end of a bandit's longsword. This game, folks, is not messing about.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1630059675
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Wartales is an open world RPG in which you lead a group of mercenaries in their search for wealth across a massive medieval universe. Explore the world, recruit companions, collect bounties and unravel the secrets of the tombs of the ancients!