"Planet Hop" - A new Game Boy game on KickStarter now

GameDadGrant

Hi fellow retro gamers!

Through Gamebow. Ltd, I intend to develop and release a wave of brand new physical cartridge-based games for the Gameboy handheld system and possibly other platforms. If successfully funded, Planet Hop will be the first of many games to come from Gamebow Ltd.

Planet Hop is a brand new game for Gameboy. It is a family-friendly, pick up and play retro style action platformer, reminiscent of past Nintendo Gameboy games series, such as Mario Land and Kirby. 

"I am a lone indie developer working on my first game ‘Planet Hop’, a brand-new physical game for Nintendo Game Boy and Game Boy Colour. Planet Hop is reminiscent of classic Japanese Game Boy games from the late 1980s/early 1990s, such as Mario Land and Kirby. You play as a pink lunar rabbit named Usagi (based on East-Asian folklore), who must rescue the Planetary Guardians and restore the Solar System’s zodiac stars.

I initially started the game as a small collaborative project with my two children (aged 5 and 9), as I wanted them to experience the joy of physical media and spend less time playing addictive online games. Since then, the scope of the game has grown.

Unlike a lot of recent Game Boy homebrew games (that are more like demos), the game will be fully-fledged and feature at least 72 stages (spread over 8 planets) and at least 10 bosses."

LINK TO THE KICKSTARTER

Looks pretty cool to me. And it's awesome it's coming on an actual Game Boy cartridge, playable on any old-school Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Super Game Boy, Game Boy Player, and Game Boy Advance. Worthy of backing, IMO!