VGC’S Innovation of the Year: DualSense

SaysWho?

innovation-of-the-year-2020.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Sony's good vibrations were arguably the only truly next-gen experience in 2020…

What we do have are various excitable Sony blogs laying out developers’ visions for a DualSense future. Imagine the experimental arsenal of Ratchet and Clank captured with vivid energy pulses and triggers that can switch between firing modes on a single pull.

Imagine the panic of Resident Evil 8’s first-person onslaughts, only with every one of those urgent shots recoiling through your fingers. Imagine the ABS simulation of Gran Turismo 7 or the thunk of Kratos’ axe against monster skull. Just imagine what madness Kojima could unleash when he finally gets his mitts on a DualSense control scheme.

That Sony has us imagining what can happen in the hands as much on the screen speaks to a vital tech leap and, arguably, the only truly next-gen experience in 2020.

L2 and R2 are now capable of varying levels of tension, from the familiar press of Dualshock 4 to a resistant squeeze or even a biting point that has to be crunched through. The latter is so convincing you might think you’re breaking the pad the first time it happens.

It’s haptics that bring to life Astro’s Playroom – the magnificent PS5 pack-in game that’s as much a recipient of this prize as the pad itself.

Seconding the "though I broke the pad" line. Boy, was that a weird feeling at first playing Astro's Playroom. I also think the rumble in general feels really good, better than I feel many controllers have had up to this point, and I still have to play the rest of Astro to feel the differences through the controller.

• SaysWho? changed the title to VGC’S Innovation of the Year: DualSense