Interview with the husband of Rachael Bland BBC presenter who died from cancer

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46205365

The 40-year-old BBC Radio 5 Live broadcaster, who co-hosted podcast You, Me and the Big C, died in September.

In his first interview since her death, Steve Bland said on one occasion he started crying because he was upset he had lost his temper with his son.

"I shouted at him because he was being a right pain, (I was) trying to get him dressed. I started crying because it really upset me that I'd shouted at him," he explained.

"And he just turned to me and he said, 'Daddy, are you crying because of Mummy?' and I said 'Yes'. And he said, 'Daddy, don't worry, it's just us two now. It'll be OK'."

He said Freddie was "a bit young really to understand even on a very base level what's happened", but added: "He's just full of energy, full of joy, full of life, keeping us busy - he's fantastic. You can't look at him without seeing Rachael either so it's a little bit of her all the time just next to me."

Asked how he is coping since his wife died, Mr Bland said: "I'm OK. Good days and bad days, as you can imagine. Plenty of challenges. You don't really know how you're going to be when something like this happens."

• Sad 1