Chuck Todd leaving Meet the Press in September, to be replaced by Kristen Welker

230604-chuck-todd-kristen-welker-jm-0922
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Chuck Todd, a mainstay in Washington as moderator of “Meet the Press,” will step down from the show in the coming months. NBC News’ co-chief White House correspondent Kristen Welker will take his place.

He plans to remain at NBC in a new role as chief political analyst, where he will serve as a key voice both in the field and during coverage of major events. He will also focus on long-form journalism.

“When I took over ‘Meet the Press,’ it was a Sunday show that had a lot of people questioning whether it still could have a place in the modern media space,” Todd added. “Well, I think we’ve answered that question and then some.”

In a memo to staff members, NBC News’ president of editorial, Rebecca Blumenstein, and NBC News’ senior vice president of politics, Carrie Budoff Brown, hailed “Chuck’s thoughtful and passionate leadership.”

In one of the most memorable interviews of the early Trump era, Todd asked Kellyanne Conway, one of Trump’s top aides, why then-White House press secretary Sean Spicer used his first appearance in the briefing room to dispute reports about the crowd size at the inauguration. Conway replied that Spicer was providing “alternative facts” — a turn of phrase that quickly became synonymous with the Trump administration’s attitude toward facts and the news media.

He may be a much better fit doing documentaries than Meet the Press. Did not like him at MTP, but his interest in politics and history may be better served doing that stuff. I've also liked Welker, so good for her.