Such an Enlightened Religion

On 12/7/2022 at 1:37 PM, Massdriver said:

This will be a reductive post since I don't have time to go into detail.

Ethics was alive apart from religion in Ancient Greek Philosophy. 

It is arguable that certain principles of ethics were present in every ancient civilization, even ones that developed completely apart from another and that we are aware of certain overlapping principles between each civilization. That just means the simple stuff was agreed upon, such as don't unjustly murder each other. When getting into the more specific issues such as freedom of thought, I would agree those ideals were not universally agreed upon and could result from other factors.  However, even if just a couple of principles appear to be universal and factual, it seems to make a case for some narrow form of universalism and realism. 

Relativism implies that there is no objectivity on which to challenge or criticize your own government or culture. Thus if your country's culture went fascist and everyone got on board with something that is morally wrong, it would become morally correct. I'm not on board with that. There are moral facts and they're independent of our culture.

Humans have a specificity called morbidity and mortality.