Ruth Gottesman makes a huge donation to Albert Einstein College of Medicine

APNEWS.COM

Students at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine say they can give up their part-time jobs, focus on their studies and reconsider the kind of medicine they hope to...

First year student Samuel Woo had been considering a career in cardiology so he would be able to pay off his medical school debt until the announcement this week of a generous donation that will remove tuition fees at his New York City school.

Now, without the fear of crippling student debt, the 23-year-old whose parents emigrated from South Korea said Tuesday that he can afford to pursue his dream of providing medical services to people living on the streets.

“I was definitely very emotional and it changes a lot,” said Woo, who had been working as a tutor and at a cafe to help cover his costs.

Ruth Gottesman, a former professor at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and the widow of a Wall Street investor, announced Monday that she is donating $1 billion to the school in the Bronx. The gift means that four-year students immediately go tuition free, while everyone else will benefit in the fall.

Another first year, Jade Andrade, whose parents emigrated from the Philippines to rural Virginia, had a similar reaction.

“A big wave of relief just came over me and, you know, everyone surrounding me in the auditorium,” Andrade said.

Now that is amazing and life-changing for all the students; it will help for a long time!

• Like 2
  • Hype 1

I will never be at this level but I do eventually plan to set up a scholarship for a transfer student going into nursing, I still remember how much help even a few hundred was back then and since I have somehow managed to succeed in-spite of myself I am fast approaching the time to be generous.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1