Kathryn Garcia says she doesn't want Andrew Yang's sexist praise!

Lach-KathrynGarcia.jpg
WWW.NEWYORKER.COM

Eric Lach writes about the Democratic New York City mayoral candidate Kathryn Garcia, a former commissioner of sanitation and a career civil servant who, if elected, would be not only the city’s first...

“I would like Andrew Yang to stop saying that,” she said, wearily. “I’m not running for No. 2.” Garcia believes that Yang, who has never worked in government, is trying to address questions about his lack of experience by swiping some of hers. “And he’s not the only one, by the way,” she said. “Eric Adams”—the Brooklyn borough president, whom polls have shown in second place in the race—“has straight up told other people, particularly when going for endorsements, ‘Well, I’d make her deputy mayor.’ ” Garcia sat casually in a wrought-iron chair below a patio umbrella, wearing a pink blazer and a necklace that spelled out her first name in gold letters. “It’s totally sexist. Totally sexist,” she said. “It makes it sound like they’re giving me a compliment, but they’re not.” She continued, “Are you not strong enough to actually do this job, without me helping you? You should be strong enough. You shouldn’t need me. To be quite clear: I don’t need you guys, to run this government.”

:clap: