Last debate

4 minutes ago, Comet said:

It’s not a bad strategy honestly. Biden and co. had 8 years, why didn’t they get the job done? (Especially 2008-2010). But Trump executed that strategy poorly and Biden answered it decently enough. 

Biden's answer: Republican congress (I mean everyone knew it but he had to say it eventually)

Trump's answer: You gotta talk em into it

But the whole thing was so off the rails by then there was no room to elaborate or retort. Like how many democratic senators has Trump" talked em into it"?

22 minutes ago, Comet said:

It’s not a bad strategy honestly. Biden and co. had 8 years, why didn’t they get the job done? (Especially 2008-2010). But Trump executed that strategy poorly and Biden answered it decently enough. 

It's an awful strategy because anytime Trump asks "why didn't you get that done as vice president" it can easily be asked "why didn't you get that done as thee president."

It's Trump biggest weakness. He says and does so much awful shit that he has no credibility on anything. I would probably be more inclined to care that son of the former vice president got paid by Ukraine energy company, if Trump wasn't funneling US taxpayer money directly in to his brands and properties.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Biden's answer: Republican congress (I mean everyone knew it but he had to say it eventually)

Trump's answer: You gotta talk em into it

But the whole thing was so off the rails by then there was no room to elaborate or retort. Like how many democratic senators has Trump" talked em into it"?

Trump can't even get a stimulus package passed through a House that is eager to do so.....

14 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

It's an awful strategy because anytime Trump asks "why didn't you get that done as vice president" it can easily be asked "why didn't you get that done as thee president."

It's Trump biggest weakness. He says and does so much awful shit that he has no credibility on anything. I would probably be more inclined to care that son of the former vice president got paid by Ukraine energy company, if Trump wasn't funneling US taxpayer money directly in to his brands and properties.

If the goal is to win over sane voters, yeah it’s an awful strategy. Anyone who’s undecided (and there aren’t that many right now), aren’t sane. 

I'm really tired of Trump going on about when he wanted to close the boarders to China, Joe Biden didn't, and called him xenophobic. Maybe Joe did or didn't say that, I don't know, but either way, Trump is the president, and Joe Biden isn't, so maybe if Joe Biden was the president and had the same information that Trump knew in January, then maybe he would have been for closing the boarders. It's a really stupid argument, but then again everything about Trump is stupid. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Frank Luntz's focus group is proving democracy is a bad idea. These people are idiots. 

Let's go over to to Phyllis in this small town Michigan diner. She's an undecided Republican who is tired of being called a racist by her three college aged children.

• Haha 3

Of all of Trump's claims, I thought the "you built the cages" one was the weirdest. It's not like he isn't using them and adding additional bullshit to the nation's immigration policies. 

Trump's best argument is Joe Biden's 47 year record in government. I also wonder if the comments Joe made about oil is going to tighten PA and secure TX for Trump. 

Overall, I thought Biden was pretty solid. I don't know if it's cognitive decline (just a factor of aging) or throat muscle degeneration, but he can get mealy mouthed at times. I think he's at his best when he's looking at the camera and I thought the strategy of being the first to mention the Giuliani rat-fuck was pretty smart. 

I also think that both candidates are obviously not at the peak of their cognitive abilities, but that's what happens when you are choosing between two guys in their 70s. 

31 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I see a lot of the classic, "Trump finally strikes new, more Presidential tone" takes are out on Twitter. Meanwhile, here's what actual voters thought.

Those numbers look exactly like what their respective approval/disapproval numbers already look like.

Without a breakdown of any leakage between groups, what that looks like is that Trump had a less offensive performance which didn't force even his supporters to concede he lost. That's the good news for him.

The bad news is that it looks like one mediocre debate performance isn't enough to raise the ceiling he has spent half a decade solidifying. Go figure.

I know the goal of tonight was to "stop the bleeding", but on the other hand if you're down 3 with a second on the clock it doesn't do much good to take a 15 foot jumper.

4 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Those numbers look exactly like what their respective approval/disapproval numbers already look like.

Without a breakdown of any leakage between groups, what that looks like is that Trump had a less offensive performance which didn't force even his supporters to concede he lost. That's the good news for him.

The bad news is that it looks like one mediocre debate performance isn't enough to raise the ceiling he has spent half a decade solidifying. Go figure.

I know the goal of tonight was to "stop the bleeding", but on the other hand if you're down 10 with a second on the clock it doesn't do much good to take a 15 foot jumper.

FTFY

Small panel, so don't pin all hopes on it, but of the 11 undecided voters on CNN's panel, 7 are now ready to vote and all are for Biden:

201023010619-undecided-voter-panel-final
WWW.CNN.COM

A panel of undecided voters speak to CNN's Gary Tuchman after the final 2020 presidential election debate between President Donald Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden.

One who's not ready wants more evidence that Democrats won't tank the economy (lol).

But here's an interesting one: there's a guy on the left who's pro-life and says if Barrett is confirmed, he's voting for Biden. He wants someone pro-life on the Supreme Court, but he doesn't have to worry about that if she's already on and likes Biden better on a range of other topics.

We’ll see; I watched the first 2/3 and I didn’t think Biden counterpunched on the accusations by Trump about the ‘shady family dealings with Ukraine and China’ all that well, or on a number of things.  (The best he did was the exchange in which he pointed out that he’s released his tax returns and Trump has not)

I know you guys and people who have already made up their minds and are 100% committed to voting don’t care, but for the most part you’re not the swing demographic whose going to determine the outcome of the election; of the wishy-washy folk who remain uncommitted, or those lukewarm supporters of either candidate who might be convinced to stay home, the Biden-Burisma scandal is one of the only things that could presumably lead to a late-game surge for Trump and sabotage Biden’s apparent lead; it hasn’t caught on yet, but if it does, it could easily be another James-Comey-letter-‘but-her-emails’ type thing.

If Biden’s likability takes a hit, the possibility for a Trump re-election goes up considerably.  He should have focused on erasing his one remaining liability, and I don’t think he really did.

But, that’s just my perception—we’ll see if there’s a shift in the polls.  I don’t trust those ‘snap’ ‘who won the debate’ polls for a minute.

59 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

We’ll see; I watched the first 2/3 and I didn’t think Biden counterpunched on the accusations by Trump about the ‘shady family dealings with Ukraine and China’ all that well, or on a number of things.  (The best he did was the exchange in which he pointed out that he’s released his tax returns and Trump has not)

So telling everyone that Trump is the one with actual shady China and Ukraine dealings and Trump is just making up bullshit about Biden's Ukraine and China dealings isn't enough?

43 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So telling everyone that Trump is the one with actual shady China and Ukraine dealings and Trump is just making up bullshit about Biden's Ukraine and China dealings isn't enough?

For real. I thought that was a great counter. 

9 hours ago, Chollowa said:

Overall, I thought Biden was pretty solid. I don't know if it's cognitive decline (just a factor of aging) or throat muscle degeneration, but he can get mealy mouthed at times.

He's fought a stutter his whole life. I don't like the idea of a very old president's either, but given that I'm not sure you can attribute it to declining cognition.