Racism in Gaming is Getting Some Mainstream Coverage Now...

skillzdadirecta

4 hours ago, Man of Culture said:

Though I'm clearly the odd man out due to the fact that I prefer a maximization of freedom of expression and letting the owners of such spaces/platforms decide how best to tackle these issues while giving freedom to the players to self moderate.. 

This is whats been done since inception and yet here we are in the same place. Platforms give little to no penalty for acting like an asshat and in turn player have no need to self moderate.

A lot of survivorship bias going on. People face enough prejudice just going through life, there's no reason we need videogames to toughen people up emotionally. 

Most of the people I know who, like me, grew up gaming online tend to be crass and insensitive in ways that are socially maladaptive. I don't think anyone is better for having racial slurs thrown at them while playing CoD. 

1 hour ago, Man of Culture said:

There is great value in ensuring that one's children are emotionally stable individuals who are able to handle stressful situations. I instruct and have instructed a great many students who were taught to not seek out challenge, to seek out safety and avoid that which is considered to be unsafe. These people have a tendency to bring their feelings (emotional needs) to the fore which leads to mental distortion and assumption of the worst. This is usually leads to them being incredibly difficult to instruct. They second or triple guess their decisions and they freeze up at critical moments. They become frightened when too much is going on for them to handle. I spend more time being an actual life coach to such people instead of being their driving instructor. The great thing I get to see is the impact that I have on others. I've helped an ex-con become gainfully employed. I've helped a down-on-his luck, thug wannabe become employed by the postal service. I've helped many others who wouldn't even be able to work throughout the covid pandemic had they not only learned how to drive, but to realize that they're worth more than what people have told them they're worth all their life (nothing). So yeah, you'll have to excuse me if I think a little stoicism goes a long way in the face of adversity. I only have literal thousands of real life examples, many of which I personally affected to go by.

Ubisoft has struck a good balance between freedom of expression and effective moderation. More companies should follow the moderation strategy for siege.

You didn’t one time in this post describe people changing how they feel (because you can’t), only how they respond to their feelings. Those are different things. And despite myself being somebody who is nearly completely unaffected by things people say to me, I don’t actually want a world in which everybody is that way. There is a need for people who feel more strongly and people who don’t, it’s a balancing act. 

But again, people being awful to others is a choice. We can tell people to behave better or face consequences. We need not tell people to not feel how they feel when abusive behavior is directed toward them because the problem is not how they feel, the problem is the abusive behavior.

I feel like a lot of it also grew with the move from peer to peer to dedicated servers. Back in the Ghost Recon days, me or one of my friends (all of us bunch of white boys) would host a lobby, and the second somebody in the room started acting like a dipshit, we'd give them one warning. A lot of times the person would actually settle down. When they didn't, we booted them, even if it was mid-match.

Then everything started going to dedicated servers and all you could do was report them, which never seemed to do anything. This was also when I started just starting my own party chat on Xbox and sitting in it all by myself while I played online. Sweet, sweet silence.

1 hour ago, Moa said:

A lot of survivorship bias going on. People face enough prejudice just going through life, there's no reason we need videogames to toughen people up emotionally. 

Most of the people I know who, like me, grew up gaming online tend to be crass and insensitive in ways that are socially maladaptive. I don't think anyone is better for having racial slurs thrown at them while playing CoD. 

This is basically it. Nobody's entertainment time or money is better spent with abusive language hurled at them. The only people having a good time there are racists and misogynists, and I'm not even convinced that's the case. Harboring that much hate must be exhausting when people could just be having a good time.

Honestly, mainstream attention from places like GMA is the only way this changes. These devs, desperate to not alienate racists, enable their poor behavior and bad publicity is the only way to get their attention.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moa said:

I was going nowhere in life. I was taking meth to wake up and heroin to go to sleep. I was stealing copper wiring because I had already stolen all the money and jewelry I could from family and still needed to feed my addiction. Then one day I walked into a GameStop. I started playing Call of Duty Black Ops Remastered Snyder Cut Edition on the demo Xbox One. I killed a guy and he called me a dago. I then immediately turned my life around and founded Lakewood Church.

9 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is basically it. Nobody's entertainment time or money is better spent with abusive language hurled at them. The only people having a good time there are racists and misogynists, and I'm not even convinced that's the case. Harboring that much hate must be exhausting when people could just be having a good time.

Honestly, mainstream attention from places like GMA is the only way this changes. These devs, desperate to not alienate racists, enable their poor behavior and bad publicity is the only way to get their attention.

I don't even believe anyone is having a good time. I think it's unhealthy, exhausting and anxiety-inducing behavior even for themselves but nobody's there to bop them on the head and go hey listen, this shit is bad for everyone involved and explain why.

On 10/22/2020 at 5:04 PM, Man of Culture said:

There is great value in ensuring that one's children are emotionally stable individuals who are able to handle stressful situations. I instruct and have instructed a great many students who were taught to not seek out challenge, to seek out safety and avoid that which is considered to be unsafe. These people have a tendency to bring their feelings (emotional needs) to the fore which leads to mental distortion and assumption of the worst. This is usually leads to them being incredibly difficult to instruct. They second or triple guess their decisions and they freeze up at critical moments. They become frightened when too much is going on for them to handle. I spend more time being an actual life coach to such people instead of being their driving instructor. The great thing I get to see is the impact that I have on others. I've helped an ex-con become gainfully employed. I've helped a down-on-his luck, thug wannabe become employed by the postal service. I've helped many others who wouldn't even be able to work throughout the covid pandemic had they not only learned how to drive, but to realize that they're worth more than what people have told them they're worth all their life (nothing). So yeah, you'll have to excuse me if I think a little stoicism goes a long way in the face of adversity. I only have literal thousands of real life examples, many of which I personally affected to go by.

Ubisoft has struck a good balance between freedom of expression and effective moderation. More companies should follow the moderation strategy for siege.

wouldn’t it be cool if when men came instead of semen just a little flower would pop out and bloom