Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Launching a mobile service that is primarily meant to be watched on phones during a pandemic when most people are stuck at home probably wasn't the best idea. The internets tendency to judge things before they even come out let alone try them didn't help either. Some of the "shows" weren't bad. I watched a couple of shows at work nights earyl on and some were decent. Their library of material will probably be bought up by another streamer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Launching a mobile service that is primarily meant to be watched on phones during a pandemic when most people are stuck at home probably wasn't the best idea. The internets tendency to judge things before they even come out let alone try them didn't help either. Some of the "shows" weren't bad. I watched a couple of shows at work nights earyl on and some were decent. Their library of material will probably be bought up by another streamer.

 

 

I just imagine Quibi, the XFL, and Trump sitting at a bar bragging about they would have made it big if the virus hadn't come around.....

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Launching a mobile service that is primarily meant to be watched on phones during a pandemic when most people are stuck at home probably wasn't the best idea. The internets tendency to judge things before they even come out let alone try them didn't help either. Some of the "shows" weren't bad. I watched a couple of shows at work nights earyl on and some were decent. Their library of material will probably be bought up by another streamer.

 

I'll never get the refusal to make it watchable in desktop browsers. It was a decent idea with the worst possible timing, but they then just refused to adapt to the new situation.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone likes to poop all over Quibi... but on paper I don't think it's a bad idea to try and rethink something like TV for the modern age and smartphones, but it sounds like it just didn't land.

 

Doesn't make it a stupid play. I bet that this was an idea just a little before it's time, or maybe an idea that was poorly executed.

 

(I'm saying all of these things having never used Quibi for even a second.)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ort said:

Everyone likes to poop all over Quibi... but on paper I don't think it's a bad idea to try and rethink something like TV for the modern age and smartphones, but it sounds like it just didn't land.

 

Doesn't make it a stupid play. I bet that this was an idea just a little before it's time, or maybe an idea that was poorly executed.

 

(I'm saying all of these things having never used Quibi for even a second.)

 

I really do think it's as simple as they got completely hosed on the timing.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ort said:

Everyone likes to poop all over Quibi... but on paper I don't think it's a bad idea to try and rethink something like TV for the modern age and smartphones, but it sounds like it just didn't land.

 

Doesn't make it a stupid play. I bet that this was an idea just a little before it's time, or maybe an idea that was poorly executed.

 

(I'm saying all of these things having never used Quibi for even a second.)

I id use it and I agree with @Jason they just picked the worst possible time to launch.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I wasn’t against it. I did the free trial and got some use out of it. It just didn’t have nearly enough content to compete with other streaming services that were charging just a couple dollars more a month. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Yeah, I wasn’t against it. I did the free trial and got some use out of it. It just didn’t have nearly enough content to compete with other streaming services that were charging just a couple dollars more a month. 

 

Amazon and Hulu have "channels" you can add as paid add-ons (Showtime, CBS All Access, etc). Even without the dumb phone-only restriction I feel like the format was a dubious value given how much time everyone is spending at home now, but maybe it would have been an easier sell for people as a $5 add-on on another service. I think people tend to view having a different account in a different app as a lot more of a hassle than having something extra bundled onto a service you already had and intended to keep.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

It Lives! (sorta)

 

Quote

Roku has officially acquired Quibi's library of content, less than three months after the bite-sized entertainment streaming service shut down.According to The Hollywood Reporter, Roku has now bought exclusive global distribution rights to more than 75 short-form shows in an effort to expand the company's free-to-stream, ad-supported offering on The Roku Channel. The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, however, a source familiar with the agreement was said to have valued the content library at "significantly less than $100 million."

The Roku blog notes that the "quick bites and big stories made famous on Quibi" will be available to stream on The Roku Channel later this year, giving audiences access to "hundreds of hours of new content," which will be free to watch on the platform. The catalog includes everything from Sophie Turner's thriller Survive to Chrissy Teigen's courtroom comedy Chrissy's Court.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...